none
How is the data secured over the air in Merge Replication ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Dear ppl,

I have a question for you. One of our client has asked us how is the data secured over the air during Replication?

I have read that Merge Replication uses TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocol to secure the data over the air. But I was wondering if it is all done automatically ? Or do we need to install certificates like for SSL.

We have a Windows Mobile 5.0 application using SQL Mobile that runs over 50 devices and they all synchronise with a single Publisher SQL Server 2005 using GPRS connection.  We haven't got any SSL certificates installed on the server.

Now how can i make use of TLS in my application to secure my data over the air (using TLS)? 

Regards
    Nabeel Farid

Thursday, January 4, 2007 2:40 PM

Answers

• You can do this in SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Search books online for "encryption protocols", you should find a topic named "Encrypting Connections to SQL Server".

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 5:48 PM

All replies

• it's replicated on the same protocols that SQL Server uses when communicating with other SQL Servers.  You can enable encryption at the protocol level if you want.
    Tuesday, January 9, 2007 3:55 AM
  • thanx for the response Greg.

I didn't exactly understand what you mean. But how can I enable encryption at the protocol level?

Regards

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 1:01 PM
  • You can do this in SQL Server Configuration Manager.  Search books online for "encryption protocols", you should find a topic named "Encrypting Connections to SQL Server".

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 5:48 PM
  • You should also look at the Mobile Telecommunications carrier supplying the over the air connection and see what security options they have available. For instance, if there is a dedicated connection like a VPN or whether your are using a public network, the security options will differ.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:36 PM