none
Windows 10 IoT Skype

Question

• Hello, does Windows 10 IoT support Skype?

I was thinking about buying Raspberry pi 2, install Windows 10 IoT, attach touchscreen, camera, speaker and use it only for Skype.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:27 PM

Answers

• Nice idea!

Downloading the Skype app to Windows 10 IoT will be problematic since there is no store access.

I don't think camera or speaker is working yet.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Hi Stealth (& Sean & Vladimir),

Since you can buy a Windows Phone and a number of other "Skype-able" platforms for under $50 and run the Skype Client on them, what scenario or product do you envision from the Pi setup you mention above? (Note that the setup you describe will likely amount to more than $50) For example, if you were going to pitch this to Microsoft, what would be the benefit of providing this capability for an IoT Device?  I have a number of thoughts myself but I am curious as to what you see as compelling IoT Core based device opportunities that would be opened or enhanced by having a basic, potentially headless, Skype client.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:47 PM

All replies

• Nice idea!

Downloading the Skype app to Windows 10 IoT will be problematic since there is no store access.

I don't think camera or speaker is working yet.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Windows IoT support UWP platform. So, you can try to install Skype UWP preview. But I don't know about anniversary update for Windows IoT.

Vladimir Zelenov | http://systemcenter4all.wordpress.com

Monday, July 18, 2016 9:46 PM
  • Hi Stealth (& Sean & Vladimir),

Since you can buy a Windows Phone and a number of other "Skype-able" platforms for under $50 and run the Skype Client on them, what scenario or product do you envision from the Pi setup you mention above? (Note that the setup you describe will likely amount to more than $50) For example, if you were going to pitch this to Microsoft, what would be the benefit of providing this capability for an IoT Device?  I have a number of thoughts myself but I am curious as to what you see as compelling IoT Core based device opportunities that would be opened or enhanced by having a basic, potentially headless, Skype client.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:47 PM
  • Outside USA no many phones are lower than USD50, so a Raspberry Pi running Skype makes perfect sense. Also having Skype discontinued the support for Smart TVs there is no many options for having skype on a big flat TV without a PC. I hope Skype can be installed on Windows IoT soon :) 
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:08 PM
  • any progress with that topic here? 
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:39 AM
  • @CommanderTH0R

Out of curiosity, What sort of news are you looking for here ?

the marked answers including all required information

br
    Andre
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 4:19 PM
  • @CommanderTH0R

Out of curiosity, What sort of news are you looking for here ?

the marked answers including all required information

br
    Andre

My guess, as I am looking for something of the same nature, is that he is looking for information on anyone coming up with a solution whether it is IoT or otherwise.

As an answer to IoTGirl, since the SkypeTV stuff has been discontinued and we like to have Skype interviews at work with several people, we have 'interview' rooms. I would greatly love to come up with something inexpensive to hook up the TVs in this room for nothing but interviewing.  Thus a raspberry pi or some other inexpensive box with Skype/webcam capabilities. Hopefully under $200.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

If you are specifically looking for Skype on RPi, then you may want to search the RPi Org site forums to see if there are some options available there.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, January 4, 2018 12:38 AM