Visual Studio standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the VS standard edition 2008 but none of my .RPTPROJ objects do not open. THere is a message that 'the Project type is not supported by this version of the application'

But I also don't see Business Intelligence studio. I think that this would be the missing piece. But how do you download this Business Intelliegence studio? I cannot locate this download anywhere.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Tusharr,

Thank you for your reply.

For .rptproj, it's the project of SSRS. Thus, I would suspect that the issue should be related to BIDS 2008 instead of Visual Studio 2008.

Could you please help me to check whether you can open the SSRS project with BIDS 2008?
    You can go to Start menu >> All Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 >> SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. Then open the SSRS project via BIDS.

By default, BIDS feature is supported in SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition.
    Please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx
    So, the SSRS project should be opened.
    If the SSRS project cannot be opened via BIDS, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall BIDS to fix corruptions in BIDS.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, February 15, 2010 4:22 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Tusharr,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What kind of project do you want to open? VB.NET project, C# project, SSIS project, SSRS project or others?

For BIDS, it is the feature that is integrated into SQL Server installation. As far as I know, there seems to be no standalone installer on official website.

If the full utility of BIDS is required, you can install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition. This edition fully supports Analysis Services, Integration Services, and Reporting Services projects.
    For edition feature comparison, see: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions-compare.aspx
    We can get the trial edition of SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition from http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/. Please check "SQL Server 2008 Express" tab.

If you want to open SQL Server related projects, you should have BIDS installed to support it.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:23 AM
  • I am not so sure but the projects were all SSRS using Professional edition. I have installed BIDS now but nothing has changed. It could be that I did not install Enterprise Edition of Bids? How can I determine this?

Otherwise would you say that as it  is, I cannot use Standard edition?
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi Tusharr,

I am not so sure but the projects were all SSRS using Professional edition. I have installed BIDS now but nothing has changed. It could be that I did not install Enterprise Edition of Bids? How can I determine this?

Otherwise would you say that as it  is, I cannot use Standard edition?

Some clarification with you:
    Which edition of SQL Server 2008 are you running now?
    What's the exact error message did you receive?

For Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition and Professional Edition, there are different features between them.
    Please check: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/e/5feb6914-bcdf-432f-81c7-e386812b086a/VisualStudio2008-ProductComparison-v1.08.pdf
    Visual Studio Standard Edition is included in Visual Studio Professional Edition. This means that Professional edition has more features. You might have a check whether your project has some features that are not included in Visual Studio Standard Edition to narrow down some possible cause.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:59 AM
  • OK when I run Visual Studio 2008 standard, I open the work I created in Professional VS 2008, the message:

'C:/etc cannot be opened because its project type (.RPTPROJ) is not supported by this version of the application.'

The Project file cannot be opened.

THe SQL SErver we have is standard edition as well. It is what comes with the Great Plains system that we use.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:17 PM
  • this message as well

Visual Studio<!---->
    Application Not Installed<!---->
    <!--Content type: Devdiv1. Transform: orcas2mtps.xslt.-->

<!---->

This dialog box appears with the error "The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type (<projectextension>) is installed."

<!-- ApplyClick with current id -->  Workaround
    <!---->
    • This dialog box appears because a product required to open the specified file was not found. It is common for this error to occur when attempting to open a project file that cannot be opened with the installed version of Visual Studio. For example, attempting to open a Visual C# project file with Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition will open this dialog box.

To workaround this error

• Install the correct version of Visual Studio.

<!-- ApplyClick with current id -->  See Also

Friday, February 12, 2010 5:42 PM
  • the problem is, I can open individual RDL objects but all i get is XML. In Visual Studio the Project type sort of brings it all together. But also, why am I able to open the project types in Microsoft Report builder? (Report builder will not be a good option though bec. it doesn't work with Telerik.) 
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Hi Tusharr,

For .rptproj, it's the project of SSRS. Thus, I would suspect that the issue should be related to BIDS 2008 instead of Visual Studio 2008.

Could you please help me to check whether you can open the SSRS project with BIDS 2008?
    You can go to Start menu >> All Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 >> SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. Then open the SSRS project via BIDS.

By default, BIDS feature is supported in SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition.
    Please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx
    So, the SSRS project should be opened.
    If the SSRS project cannot be opened via BIDS, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall BIDS to fix corruptions in BIDS.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, February 15, 2010 4:22 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 4:08 AM