Program for PDA RRS feed

• Question

• User718547733 posted
    Hi, I'm very much a newbie and don't know if this is a ridiculous question folks, but I am starting a project building a particular application for PDA's where input is to be uploaded to the web. I understand this a 'relatively' straightforward concept. The question is; is my application likely to be compatible with all modern PDA's? I can't predict the model of handheld computer that the users will have. Many thanks in advance
    Saturday, October 30, 2004 1:50 PM

All replies

• User-1856965531 posted
    Hi, If you use the CF, you will write processor independant code. When you compile, VS.NET will generate machine dependant CAB files, which target a specific platform. For instance, you will generate something like this: StatesLookup_PPC.ARM.CAB StatesLookup_PPC.ARMV4.CAB StatesLookup_PPC.MIPS.CAB StatesLookup_PPC.SH3.CAB ...etc Was that what you are asking? A.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2004 5:52 AM
  • User193412268 posted
    It will be beter for you if you just specify the platform that your application will support. This way, you wont have to worry too much about the nitty gritties. For example you can just say that your application supports Pocket PC 2002 and above.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2004 4:50 AM
  • User718547733 posted
    Many thanks to both of you for your replies. I have been investigating whether I can build an application for any PDA; I realise that the operating system has a lot to do with it - so I'm working on the operating system angle just now. I need to find out if all handheld PC operating systems will be capable of handling the application rather than the PC itself. You have given me some food for thought just now. I'll post again when I have the answer; unless someone else does????
    Wednesday, November 3, 2004 2:00 PM
  • User-2035325249 posted
    Say you use windows mobile for pocket pc 2003, will there be compatibility between Cf and mobile asp.net controls ? CF will run on the pda side whereas mobile asp.net controls will run on the server side. But are they supported concurrently from the windows mobile operating system ? I think that is the question that should be answered here. cheers
    Thursday, November 4, 2004 3:17 AM
  • User1543845817 posted
    Windows Mobile 2003 includes the CF. CF in the client side (pocketPC). Mobile web controls run on the server side(ASP.NET). Mobile web controls are rendered according to the device (on the server side) then sent to your PocketPC. Your PocketPC consumes the mobile web controls in the form of HTML3.2 Im not sure what you meant by "But are they supported concurrently from the windows mobile operating system ?" Duke "The nobody in the tech industry."
    Saturday, December 18, 2004 2:51 AM