none
Installation problem SQL Express 2008 on Windows 10 Home RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install a package which is installing SQL Express quietly and failing.

I am unable to tell whether it is SQL Express that is failing or some other component, but the install log says:

Installing using command 'C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD42D4.tmp\SQLExpress 2008\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe' and parameters '/Q /QUIET /hideconsole  /INSTANCEID="PatientBase" /INSTANCENAME="PATIENTBASE" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS" /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=false /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /FEATURES=SQLENGINE /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /SAPWD="wdgNGvrt-x4JeKWp" /ACTION="Install" /INSTANCEDIR="%AllUsersProfile%\Starkey Laboratories\PatientBase" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck'
    Process exited with code -2147024893
    Status of package 'PatientBase Database' after install is 'InstallFailed'

No SQL installed and there are some logs at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log if they would be helpful...

I am by no means an expert, but should I be able to run the SQL Express manually from SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe and enter those parameters manually?

Monday, November 4, 2019 12:38 PM

All replies

• SQL Server 2008 (and R2) - all versions - are not supported on Windows 10.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Monday, November 4, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Strange, it worked absolutely fine the first time it installed.

It has been installed once and then uninstalled.

So if I installed SQL Express 2014 instead, can I use those parameters? Will that be seamless to the app accessing it?

My understanding is that many have installed this application on Windows 10.

Monday, November 4, 2019 11:56 PM
  • Hi Microfiche62,

Could you please share us setup log within Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log? Please refer to View and Read SQL Server Setup Log Files.

>>So if I installed SQL Express 2014 instead, can I use those parameters?

For installing SQL Server express 2014 by using command prompt, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/install-sql-server-from-the-command-prompt?view=sql-server-2014.

>> My understanding is that many have installed this application on Windows 10.

SQL Server 2008 is not supported on Windows 10 means that if the SQL Server team finds any specific issues related to SQL Server 2008, they will not release any security updates or patches.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Not supported means, that there will be installations where you won't get it to run. For everything else, read the logs.

Maybe it's the prerequisites. Thus check the .Net installation.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:51 AM
  • Thanks everyone. There was no setup.log at Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log so I guess it is not getting that far.

From what I can tell, .NET v4.5 is installed.

I will try installing v2014 and see what happens.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:42 AM
  • OK Friend,

Tell us about your test. We're waiting for.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 12:36 PM