none
How to update a deployed windows form desktop application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello greetings, i have been stuck with this idea of How to update a deployed windows form desktop application. Please, what's the best way to do this? I am completely new to this idea of update and don't know how to add the new features i have created to the deployed desktop app. I want to this done without the client using my application re-installing the software all over again. And reduce the size of the updates to be downloaded instead of downloading the complete set up of the software.

This might not be the best way to ask this question, but the gurus in the forum please do bear with me. Any suggestions to this question is very ok and will be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:22 PM

Answers

• Are you looking to create an app that is self-updating? If so, there a number of self-updating examples including the .NET ClickOnce technology.

From your description it sounds like you won't want to have the user run an install program in order to update an application.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:41 PM
  • I want the user to be notified of the update and he or she will choose to update or not. What i don't want is an update happening without the user's knowledge. Is there any way of doing that?
    • Marked as answer by Pat Nadis Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:20 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:48 PM
  • ClickOnce will prompt the user that an update is available.  If the publish settings do not enforce a minimum version then the update will be optional.  If a minimum version is set and the current installation is below the minimum, the user will be required to apply the update or the program will not start.

Its worth noting that ClickOnce with auto-updating works great on the local network but requires a dedicated hosting location to work over the web.  That is to say, your setup package must be available directly from a URL and not as a download accessed through script execution on a webpage.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:00 PM

All replies

• Are you looking to create an app that is self-updating? If so, there a number of self-updating examples including the .NET ClickOnce technology.

From your description it sounds like you won't want to have the user run an install program in order to update an application.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:41 PM
  • I want the user to be notified of the update and he or she will choose to update or not. What i don't want is an update happening without the user's knowledge. Is there any way of doing that?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:48 PM

I believe that ClickOnce will notify the user and provide the option of updating. You might want to give it a test drive to see if it works for you. If not, then I suspect that something a bit more customized will be required.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 9:18 PM
  • ClickOnce will prompt the user that an update is available.  If the publish settings do not enforce a minimum version then the update will be optional.  If a minimum version is set and the current installation is below the minimum, the user will be required to apply the update or the program will not start.

Its worth noting that ClickOnce with auto-updating works great on the local network but requires a dedicated hosting location to work over the web.  That is to say, your setup package must be available directly from a URL and not as a download accessed through script execution on a webpage.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Thanks your tips are very good. I will try that out immediately.
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:20 PM
  • Is there any useful resources online that will teach me how to go about it?

If there is please do share the link, thanks

Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:27 PM

I take it you're not asking me at this point?

Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:50 PM
  • Am so sorry, i am just new to this just as i said earlier.
    Friday, March 30, 2018 12:10 AM
  • Am so sorry, i am just new to this just as i said earlier.

No I understand. I just don't know who you are asking for help at this point based upon the posts you have marked as answers.

Friday, March 30, 2018 2:14 AM

You should be able to find all of the relevant information starting here and going through the related links:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/deployment/clickonce-security-and-deployment

Friday, March 30, 2018 12:02 PM
  • That's to tell you the level of my understanding in using this site. Though i forgot to ask for a help link before i marked the responses as the answer. Anyway thanks for everything, i believe we all learn new things every day.
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 5:33 AM
  • I forgot to ask for a help link before i marked the responses as the answer. Anyway thanks for everything, i believe we all learn new things every day.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 5:35 AM