Session variable, get last update time? RRS feed

• Question

• User-802546231 posted

I have an application where I want some session variables to persist longer than others, does anyone know if this is possible?

Alternatively I would like to be able to get the time when a session variable was last updated so I can calculate if it needs updated again, I can't spot any obvious way to do this, anyone got any ideas?

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:00 AM

Answers

• User1779161005 posted

I have an application where I want some session variables to persist longer than others, does anyone know if this is possible?

Session is all-or-nothing, meaning all the values stored in session are set until you explicitly remove one (or all) or the entire session expires.

Alternatively I would like to be able to get the time when a session variable was last updated so I can calculate if it needs updated again, I can't spot any obvious way to do this, anyone got any ideas?

There's nothing like this built in, so you'd need to track this yourself. One idea would be a DateTime in Session for each key you want to track, so:

Session["Name"] = "Brock";
    Session["Name.LastUpdate"] = DateTime.Now;

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:03 AM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

Session is all-or-nothing, meaning all the values stored in session are set until you explicitly remove one (or all) or the entire session expires.

There's nothing like this built in, so you'd need to track this yourself. One idea would be a DateTime in Session for each key you want to track, so:

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:03 AM
  • User-802546231 posted

good thinking! that should do the job nicely for what I need, thank you!

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:50 AM