none
cannot pull down nano server image RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am very new to Windows containers so this might be a basic issue but I am stuck.  I installed via azure the windows 2016 with container image.  I disabled the firewall and web browsers settings.  I can run the docker version command and the docker windows service is started.  

My issue is when I try the docker run -it Microsoft/nanoserver "powershell.exe" command I get the following error

unable to find image Microsoft/nanoserver:latest locally

c:\program files\docker\docker.exxe Error response from daemon: manifest for Microsoft/nanoserver:lastest not found

thanks.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:05 PM

All replies

• Did you change the Docker container type to "Windows"? Right click the Docker icon in the task bar (the icon is probably in the hidden group) and make sure that the container type is Windows. If it is already Windows, you will see a phrase "Switch to Linux containers...". Otherwise, you'll see the alternate phrase and you need to switch to Windows containers. Linux containers are the default.

In addition, the nanoserver image does NOT have Powershell. If you want nanoserver with Powershell you need to download that image (the correct image has powershell in the name). Search for Powershell on the Docker hub.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:04 PM
  • yes I did change the docker container to windows.  I believe the powershell part started the nano server in a container at the powershell prompt.   I also tried the command with just run docker -it Microsoft/nanoserver - same message

thanks for the reply.  

Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:14 PM
  • Hi davespeedracer55,

To Pull a image from MCR Register please run the following command.

docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:1903

To run the container base on the image, please run the folling command

docker run -it mcr.microsoft.com/windows/nanoserver:1903powershell.exe

The microsoft long time ago change the away to download the images.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-syndicates-container-catalog/

Thursday, October 31, 2019 5:19 PM