Bing map control hangs the back navigation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I recently ran into weird bug in Bing map control. In short, if the connection is poor and you press the hardware back button on page with map while the map is still loading some tiles, the navigation process hangs up (some times up to 10 or even more seconds). And in case when the time is more than 3 seconds the app will be "a little" not user-friendly and will not meet the technical certification requirements (5.1.3).

To repeat the bug you can create the app with two pages. First one with button to navigate to the second page. And the second page with just map control with high ZoomLevel (more than 14 for example). After the app launches, you navigate to the second page and move map to some unloaded area and then (without waiting for the download to complete) press the hardware back button. And also you somehow must "create poor" connection (in my case, simply disconnecting the device from the computer is enough).

First of all can anyone repeat this problem? And does anyone have any idea why this occurs and how to workaround it?

EDIT: The same bug can be observed in the Foursquare application for wp7 - if you go to the page where the place is shown on the map in full screen, then slide the map into an unloaded region and press the hardware button back.

It seems that the problem is in the Bing Map Control.

EDIT2:

This bug can be reproduced on Nokia Lumia 800, HTC Radar and HTC Mozart at least (OS version 7.10.8773.98).

related issue: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/wpdevelop/thread/03acca68-41f8-4cc6-b1a3-6a09463125bb (thanks to JCaldwell_)

It seems that the core of the problem is in MultiscaleImage "which is used by Bing Maps control", and it begun to occurs after 7.10.8773.98 update. IMHO this problem is the side effect of memory leak bugfix of the map control.

• Edited by Wheely Tech Monday, October 15, 2012 10:03 AM Added more detailed information (EDIT2)
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• And in case when the time is more than 3 seconds the app will be "a little" not user-friendly and will not meet the technical certification requirements (5.1.3).

I have also seen and documented this problem.  And while it technically causes problems with the requirements you mentioned, it does not seem like this is a reason for applications not to pass certification.  In my case, it could take 25 seconds to go back one page if the connection was not there.

Edit: See also http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/wpdevelop/thread/03acca68-41f8-4cc6-b1a3-6a09463125bb

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:55 AM
  • I spent almost three weeks trying to solve this problem. But have not found a good solution. The problem apparently is that while the map control does not fully load all required tiles - navigation from view is impossible.

As a solution, I put a progress bar on the view with map, and when navigation from it occurs I sets its IsBusy property to true - at least, in that way the user see that something is happening.

Also, if you make the map control smaller, the navigation should be faster as the number of required tiles is reduced.

The only hope for those who use standard map control is to wait the new maps.

Also there are third-party map controls, you may want look at them.

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Wheely!

I've stuck with the same problem with the Bing Map Control.

Have you solved this somehow?

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:43 AM
  • I spent almost three weeks trying to solve this problem. But have not found a good solution. The problem apparently is that while the map control does not fully load all required tiles - navigation from view is impossible.

As a solution, I put a progress bar on the view with map, and when navigation from it occurs I sets its IsBusy property to true - at least, in that way the user see that something is happening.

Also, if you make the map control smaller, the navigation should be faster as the number of required tiles is reduced.

The only hope for those who use standard map control is to wait the new maps.

Also there are third-party map controls, you may want look at them.

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:32 AM
  • And in case when the time is more than 3 seconds the app will be "a little" not user-friendly and will not meet the technical certification requirements (5.1.3).

I have also seen and documented this problem.  And while it technically causes problems with the requirements you mentioned, it does not seem like this is a reason for applications not to pass certification.  In my case, it could take 25 seconds to go back one page if the connection was not there.

Edit: See also http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/wpdevelop/thread/03acca68-41f8-4cc6-b1a3-6a09463125bb

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Sunday, March 31, 2013 5:49 PM