none
OpenFileDialog not in toolbox

Question

• I'm using Visual Studio Express 2015 and there is no OpenFileDialog in the toolbox or any dialogs category. I've tried Reset Toolbox and tried looking in Choose Toolbox Items. I've only just installed it so it should be there.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:26 PM

All replies

• Do a Righ-Click on the ToolBox and click "Choose Items", browse in the .NET tab and find the OpenFileDialog...click select and it should appear...

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:01 PM
  • There is no .NET tab only Universal Windows 8 Components, Universal Windows Components and Windows Phone Silverlight Components.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:19 PM
  • You probably need to load the .NET Framework then... as part of the elements of VS.

In the VS2015 installation there is a list of components to install and .NET is part of that list.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi JonCSM,

Please share us which project you created, Winform or others? I created a WPF project, and when even though I have added OpenFileDialog in .NET table. OpenFileDialog also not exist in Toolbox.

But if I create a Winform project, I could find OpenFileDialog in my Toolbox.

So I think, please make sure your project is Winform project. Please let us know your latest information.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:01 AM
  • It's a blank Visual Basic Universal Windows app. I can't see a way to make a Winform project, I can only see Blank App, Class Library, Windows Runtime Component (Universal Windows) and Unit Test App (Universal Windows)
    • Edited by JonCSM Sunday, November 20, 2016 5:12 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hi JonCSM,

According to your description, you are using Express for Windows 10, is it right?

OpenFileDialog control is a Windows Forms control, which is support Windows Forms application. I found that even I select OpenFileDialog control in .NET Framework tab in Choose Toolbox Items window, it also doesn't show in Toolbox.

So if you want to pick files in UWP app, I suggest you use File Picker in your UWP app. Following is a sample for C#, please refer it. Hope it can help you.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/File-Picker-in-Windows-10-846c2116

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:49 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 9:45 AM