Advice on Manually Installing SQL Server 2005 Express Service Pack 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2008 R2. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express.  Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I have traced a problem I am having with the Backup Exec services not coming back up after a reboot following automatic updates.  The problem is associated with the automatic update for SQL Server 2005 Express Service Pack 4 failing.  I am now trying to install this update manually by going to:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=184 

and downloading SQLEXPR.EXE (the first download listed).  The download page says that it is for SQL Server 2005 Express Service Pack 4.  But when I run this download it gives me the impression that it is INSTALLING the entire product rather than UPDATING the product.  I stopped the process before it actually started the install and came here to post.

MY QUESTION: Is it safe to run through the above mentioned installation without fear that it will overwrite or mess up anything I have already configured on my system, in particular the BEDB database that is currently running in the existing SQL Server 2005 Express instance?

Thank you for any help.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• There was a solution procedure posted on Symantecs forums as follows.  It allowed my patch to install.

(http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64580) We found the keys under the Wow3264 hive, removed them and the SQL SP4 installed via windows update successfully.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

• Marked as answer by Chaplain Doug Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:07 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:07 PM

All replies

• Okay.  I "manually" installed the SR4 update from the link above.  It gave no errors on installation.  I even rebooted the server after installation.  However, when I go to Control Panel> Programs and display all installed programs and updates, the update for SQL Server 2005 Express SR4 DOES NOT appear.  Moreover, when I go to Windows Update, it still tells me that the SR4 update needs to be installed.  ANY help will be greatly appreciated here.  Thanks.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hello,

Please connect to the instance and run the following, then please post the output:

SELECT @@VERSION

-Sean

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:39 PM
  • It is the instance created by Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 when it was installed.  The instance name is GNHOST\BKUPEXEC.  I connected to the instance from the SQL Server management Studio (which runs on another machine).  I ran the query SELECT @@VERSION.  This is the result.

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (Intel X86)   Nov 24 2008 13:01:59   Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition on Windows NT 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

I noticed another instance called GNHOST\SQLEXPRESS and was trying to run the same query on it, but my SQL Server Management Studio was not able to connect to the instance, saying the following.  Is there a tool I can use to run the query on the machine that just has SQL Express running?

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to GNHOST\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 28 - Server doesn't support requested protocol) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hello,

Actually since the host name is the same (GNHOST) there are two different instances of SQL Server Express installed. The first instance is the GNHOST\SQLEXPRESS and the second is GNHOST\BKUPEXEC.

Version 9.00.4035 equates to 2005 Service Pack 3, so you are correct it was not updated to SP4 (9.00.5000). When you ran the install, did it ask what instance you would like to apply the service pack to (sorry, it's been a while since I've worked with 2005)?

-Sean

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:49 AM
  • But the text returned by the query SELECT @@VERSION says "Service Pack 1."

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:21 AM
  • So it looks like the manual install did not update my GNHost\BKUPEXEC instance and installed another instance named GNHost\SQLEXPRESS?!  I do not recall seeing that instance before (in the services) when I was working on this issue before the "update."  Now how do I get rid of the new instance?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Hi Chaplain,

If you want to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4, you need to download from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7218.
    The link in your post which you have downloaded SQL Server 2005 Service Pack4 is the whole SQL Server not the Service Pack 4. You used the improper link.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi Chaplain,

How to manually uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server 2005: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337087(v=SQL.90).aspx.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Maggie:

The file in my original link is 54MB.  The file in your link is 374.7MB.  Why would just the SP4 be 7 times larger than the entire product?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:02 PM
  • That procedure completely uninstalls SQL Server 2005 Express rather than just one of my two instances.  Perhaps I am not using the corrent description of what I need to do.  When I go into the Programs section of Control Panel SQL Server 2005 Express shows up only once.  HOWEVER, when I go to services.msc I see two services:

SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)

Before my install of the SP4 there was only one service (BKUPEXEC).  Now there are the two.  I want to remove ONLY SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS), which is the one created on the "update" I tried.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hello All,

I have the same problem as Chaplain Doug. I tried to update the SQL Server 2005 Express that is embedded in Backup Exec to SP4 and ended up with a new instance of SQL Server 2005 installed. I als need to update SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) to SP 4 and uninstall SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS). Has there been a resolution to this issue. Thank you.

Robby D. Knight
    Computer Systems Administrator
    Department of Surgery
    UNC Chapel Hill

• Proposed as answer by Robby Knight Monday, February 20, 2012 3:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Robby Knight Monday, February 20, 2012 3:30 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Info to Chaplain Doug. Worked with Symantec who helped me migrate the BE databases to the new instance of SQL Server Express 2005 SP4 and then used the Windows Uninstall Utility to select Microsoft SQL Server 2005 which then gave me the option of which instance of SQL Express to uninstall. Hope the helps.

Robby D. Knight
    Computer Systems Administrator
    Department of Surgery
    UNC Chapel Hill

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Robby:

Would sure like to know the procedure you used to "migrate the BE databases to the new instance of SQL Server 2005 Express SP4.  I am still stuck with an instance of SQL Server (under which my Backup Exec runs) that will not take the update.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:42 PM
  • There was a solution procedure posted on Symantecs forums as follows.  It allowed my patch to install.

(http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64580) We found the keys under the Wow3264 hive, removed them and the SQL SP4 installed via windows update successfully.

• Marked as answer by Chaplain Doug Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:07 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:07 PM