OutputPath property is not set for this project RRS feed

• Question

• User473447906 posted

Hello,

I have a strange error I'm hoping someone can help me with.  I created a Web Deployment project for a site I'm working on, and am able to build the project under the "Release" configuration setting.  However when I create a new solution configuration for a specific client and create a new configuration for that web deploy project I get this rather confusing message: "The OutputPath property is not set for this project.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid Configuration/Platform combination.  Configuration='ClientRelease'  Platform='AnyCPU'  "

I have opened up the project file and looked at the xml, and there is most certainly a OutputPath specified ".\ClientRelease"  and everything else in the xml looks fine to me. I can switch back to regular release which has all of the same settings except for the one project's configuration and it builds just fine again.

Has anyone seen behavior like this before?  I'm about out of ideas to try on this, and I'd love to hear some thoughts

Matt

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:02 PM

All replies

• User-1527269315 posted

Hello!

I've got the same problem and I've found the solution. It looks like configuration manager doesn't touch deployment project after new configuration have been added. In my case I've got this type of error after adding new 'Debug' based build configuration. The solution was:

1. Open project file for deployment project

2. Find PropertyGroup section for 'Debug' configuration

3. Create a copy of this section, change condition attribute to match new configuration and anything you need to change inside PropertyGroup section

That's all. 

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:39 AM
  • User394985813 posted

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, but editing wdproj didn't work for me I have always the same error.

<!--

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Project

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=55111

-->

<
    Project DefaultTargets="Build" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">

<PropertyGroup>

<Configuration Condition=" '$(Configuration)' == '' ">Debug</Configuration>

<Platform Condition=" '$(Platform)' == '' ">AnyCPU</Platform>

<ProductVersion>8.0.60403</ProductVersion>

<SchemaVersion>2.0</SchemaVersion>

<ProjectGuid>{4DCA46BC-25F6-4B42-B446-FBB6FB8EC3CA}</ProjectGuid>

<SourceWebPhysicalPath>..\web</SourceWebPhysicalPath>

<SourceWebProject>{6CAEC976-7083-4CBD-B3EC-FFB9AE9F7415}|http://localhost/Project</SourceWebProject>

<SourceWebVirtualPath>/Project</SourceWebVirtualPath>

<SourceWebMetabasePath>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Project/</SourceWebMetabasePath>

<SccProjectName>SAK</SccProjectName>

<SccLocalPath>SAK</SccLocalPath>

<SccAuxPath>SAK</SccAuxPath>

<SccProvider>SAK</SccProvider>

</PropertyGroup>

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">

<DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols>

<OutputPath>.\Debug</OutputPath>

<EnableUpdateable>true</EnableUpdateable>

<UseMerge>true</UseMerge>

<SingleAssemblyName>_deploy_UI</SingleAssemblyName>

</PropertyGroup>

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' ">

<DebugSymbols>false</DebugSymbols>

<OutputPath>.\Release</OutputPath>

</PropertyGroup>

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Pelvoux|AnyCPU' ">

<OutputPath>.\Pelvoux</OutputPath>

<UseWebConfigReplacement>true</UseWebConfigReplacement>

</PropertyGroup>

<ItemGroup>

</ItemGroup>

<ItemGroup>

<ProjectReference Include="..\BE\BE.csproj">

<Project>{A9C63741-1F74-422A-9E33-342DBDA29AF1}</Project>

<Name>BE</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\BLL\BLL.csproj">

<Project>{FE7F0D24-B28D-4285-8C60-90864D3464CA}</Project>

<Name>BLL</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\CRS\CRS.csproj">

<Project>{A97C9AB2-D3B8-4A88-AF90-A3DD16F899A5}</Project>

<Name>CRS</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\ExtLib\ExtLib.csproj">

<Project>{CCB4B779-C493-4387-B294-D2F47405435F}</Project>

<Name>ExtLib</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\Foundation\Foundation.csproj">

<Project>{6C480FC4-5578-4D05-8034-981F611FF8BD}</Project>

<Name>Foundation</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\OracleDAL\OracleDAL.csproj">

<Project>{A9C63741-1F74-422A-9E33-342DBDA29AF2}</Project>

<Name>OracleDAL</Name>

</ProjectReference>

<ProjectReference Include="..\UserManagement\UserManagement.csproj">

<Project>{1E0AC510-91FE-46BF-9D4E-D4E9F55DE10B}</Project>

<Name>UserManagement</Name>

</ProjectReference>

</ItemGroup>

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Pelvoux|AnyCPU'">

<AssemblyAttributes Include="AssemblyFileVersion">

<Value>3.0.20.2</Value>

</AssemblyAttributes>

<AssemblyAttributes Include="AssemblyVersion">

<Value>3.0.20.2</Value>

</AssemblyAttributes>

<WebConfigReplacementFiles Include="Config\PelvouxAppSettings.config">

<Section>appSettings</Section>

</WebConfigReplacementFiles>

<WebConfigReplacementFiles Include="Config\PelvouxConnectionStrings.config">

<Section>connectionStrings</Section>

</WebConfigReplacementFiles>

</ItemGroup>

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WebDeployment\v8.0\Microsoft.WebDeployment.targets" />

<!-- To modify your build process, add your task inside one of the targets below and uncomment it.

Other similar extension points exist, see Microsoft.WebDeployment.targets.

<Target Name="BeforeBuild">

</Target>

<Target Name="BeforeMerge">

</Target>

<Target Name="AfterMerge">

</Target>

<Target Name="AfterBuild">

</Target>

-->

</Project>

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:57 AM
  • User-1527269315 posted

Helo, cosmos109!

Your project file looks very similar to what I did with one exception - I set <OutputPath>.\Debug</OutputPath> for my custom build configuration.

Try changing output path for Pelvoux configuration to '.\Debug' like this:

<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Pelvoux|AnyCPU' ">

<OutputPath>.\Debug</OutputPath>

<UseWebConfigReplacement>true</UseWebConfigReplacement>

</PropertyGroup>

Web deployment project is known to not support configurations other than 'Debug' and 'Release'. 

This worked for me since I didn't need to have separate output path for my custom configuration.

_

shura 

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:59 AM
  • User394985813 posted

Hello Shura,

Thank you very much for your answer, I didn't know that Web Deployment not suooprt configurations other than 'Debug' and 'Release'.

But I absolutely need that :)

I will ask to Microsoft support more information and will update this thread if any good news :)

++

Michaël

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:10 AM
  • User-1660928712 posted

Web deployment project is known to not support configurations other than 'Debug' and 'Release'. 

That is absolutely not true.

I have a solution that build correctly against Debug, Staging and Release.

What you have to take car that it is working is to correctly define your configuration with Configuration Manager and set your deployment project to the correct targeted configuration.

So if you have added a Staging configuration you must define that for the Active solution configuration like on the following post: http://weblogs.asp.net/lkempe/archive/2007/12/02/setting-correctly-your-configuration-for-web-deployment-projects-vs08.aspx

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:50 AM
  • User-1527269315 posted

That is absolutely not true.

I must admit I was wrong regarding web deployment project confirurations support. I've checked out once again and find out everything working as expected.

But it is still not clear for me what caused this 'OutputPath property not set' error. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it now, though some time ago it appeared each time I built my solution with any custom configuration.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:50 AM
  • User-1660928712 posted

The good point is that it is working for you too now.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:14 AM
  • User-722692420 posted

I need help in figuring out this issue.

In the TFS build definition when I change the Configuration to Release/AnyCPU it is giving the error when I build the Queue.

Warning Message.

The OutputPath property is not set for project 'someprojname.csproj'.  Please check to make sure that you have specified a valid combination of Configuration and Platform for this project.  Configuration='Release'  Platform='Any CPU'.  You may be seeing this message because you are trying to build a project without a solution file, and have specified a non-default Configuration or Platform that doesn't exist for this project.

Error Message

Exception Message: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\a\bin\_PublishedWebsites'. (type DirectoryNotFoundException)
    Exception Stack Trace: at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileSystemEntries(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Deployment.Workflow.Activities.FindPackageAndParametersFile.Execute(CodeActivityContext context)
    at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager)
    at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

It is happening only when I change the Configuration to Release/AnyCPU. If I left the Configurations left empty I am not getting any error message build is success.

Please help I am going through this situation for more than 4 days now. 

Thanks,

Izaz

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:34 PM