Refreshing Powerpivot Data for Business Premium Users RRS feed

• Question

•  

We recently were forced to migrate from Office 365 Midsize Business to Business Premium which removed the PowerPivot functionality in Excel.

To mitigate this we are planning to get 1 license for the E3 subscription which contains the ProPlus version of Excel with all the BI tools. My question is as follows:

If I  (E3 User with ProPlus) create an excel workbook using data accessed from an SQL server  (2012) through PowerPivot, will other users (Office Business) be able to refresh the data even though they only have the Office for Business version of Excel?

Thank you,

Gaby

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hello Charlie, 

While you're correct that the users cannot open the Powerpivot model itself, we have tested it and they can refresh the data on the Pivot table via the 'Data' tab and clicking 'Refresh all'.

This was tested by creating the model in Excel Proplus 2013 and refreshing in Excel Business 2016.

Again, this is disappointing from MS that they would remove this feature for business users. 

Gaby

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, April 23, 2016 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Gaby,

According to your description, you need to know if users who used Microsoft Office Home and Business will be able to refresh the PowerPivot data model, right?

As per my understanding, I don't think users can able to refresh it. Microsoft Office Home and Business version do not have PowerPivot include it, so the users cannot open the PowerPivot data model in there machine and cannot refresh it.
    http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/10/what-versions-of-office-2016-contain-power-pivot/

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Hello Charlie, 

While you're correct that the users cannot open the Powerpivot model itself, we have tested it and they can refresh the data on the Pivot table via the 'Data' tab and clicking 'Refresh all'.

This was tested by creating the model in Excel Proplus 2013 and refreshing in Excel Business 2016.

Again, this is disappointing from MS that they would remove this feature for business users. 

Gaby

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Saturday, April 23, 2016 1:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:43 AM