[URGENT] C# application disappearing from mobile device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am not sure if this is relevant to this particular forum; but I'll give it a try.

I am facing the following very very strange scenario. I have a .NET CF 2.0 application that has been installed successfully on a Symbol Motorola MC75. The application works fine. However, after some time (I don't exactly how many days, let's just say 3-4 days), the application gets uninstalled automatically. I don't understand what I should do to prevent this from happening. So far, this has happened twice.

Has anyone ever faced this bizarre situation?

Anyone out there, please help!!!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Im sorry, I have't experienced the same behaviour you are seeing. We install our applications to the \Program Files on the MC75 and have had no trouble with this directory. That might be something to try.

I would be very interested in finding out what the issue is that you are having as it seems like a serious problem to me. Are you on the latest OS build?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, March 2, 2009 7:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the application installed in the \Program File directory?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

Actually, it's an normal application (that collects data and sends the data via WiFi or GPRS in a background thread) that is installed in the \Windows folder.

I have developed a Today item which when clicked will open the above-mentioned application.

I have read that the Application folder is super-persistent. Do you think I should install it over there or even in the \Program File directory?

Thanks and Regards,
    Atmaram
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Applications are normally installed in the \Program Files directory.

I wouldn't recommend installing the application in the \Application directory as this will incur a performance hit.

Installing in the \Program Files directory should be fine, the application should then only be removed if you either uninstall it or clean boot the device.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

It will indeed be a perf problem if installed in the Application folder.

However, what can be the explanation behind the app getting uninstalled just be itself or based on some device condition? I mean the users don't know how to perform a clean boot. Given that it was installed under the \Windows directory, I would assume that even if the backup battery (and main one???) drains out, the app should still be there, or am I under the wrong assumption?

Thanks,
    Atmaram
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

As I know it, the \Windows directory should be persistant up until a clean boot.

Are you installing the application or just putting a EXE in the \Windows directory and running from there?

Is the reason you know that the application is uninstalled is because the EXE is not present or the Remove Programs applet doesn't show your application entry any longer?

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Thanks Paul.

You have a got a valid pt there.

Are you installing the application or just putting a EXE in the \Windows directory and running from there?
    This is what I am doing to install the application. In my CAB project in Visual Studio, I added the "Windows" special folder. Then, I added the primary output to this folder. Then I build the CAB project which generates the .CAB file and I run the latter via an installer on desktop which deploys the .CAB file on the device. This in turn deploys my app's .EXE file in the "\Windows" folder. Is there anything wrong that I doing here?

Is the reason you know that the application is uninstalled is because the EXE is not present or the Remove Programs applet doesn't show your application entry any longer?
    Both. First I checked the EXE file in the folder. Unable to find it there, I checked the Remove programs applet, which doesn't it either.

Atmaram
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

Im sorry, I have't experienced the same behaviour you are seeing. We install our applications to the \Program Files on the MC75 and have had no trouble with this directory. That might be something to try.

I would be very interested in finding out what the issue is that you are having as it seems like a serious problem to me. Are you on the latest OS build?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, March 2, 2009 7:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:56 PM