none
MS Access to Sharepoint: One user gets '3073 Unupdateable Query' RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a couple MS Access 2010 tools that are frontends with SharePoint lists as the backend. They work fine for all users but one. When he clicks a button I made, it runs a couple queries to update SharePoint lists. One adds a record to a history list, and the other updates some fields in the main list. The main list update query cannot run and gives error 3073. He has access to the sharepoint lists and has made changes to the data successfully. If we run the same query from a different test form in the database then the update works ok.

    The main form is a split form with a data source of the list that is being updated.  It is set to snapshot.  Setting the form's data source to a snapshot query of the list didn't help.  He is using interoperability Access (his version of Office does not have MS Access included), but so are other users and it works for them.

    How can I get it so the last user can update the list data from the main form?

    This question is replicated at sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/167586/ms-access-to-sharepoint-one-user-gets-3073-unupdateable-query

    • Edited by Krausr79 Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:48 PM

Answers

  • I made a temp table that I updated using VBA commands as the source for the main form instead of the list.  We were able to make updates then.  We also found the real problem:  The users were getting the front end with a script that loaded a local copy to their C drive and opened it.  For most users this is fine, but he had a screwy install of Access so the script was opening it in Interoperability mode instead of proper MS Access (which he actually did have).  When we opened Access first and opened the front end from there, then it worked as normal without needing a temp table.
    • Marked as answer by Krausr79 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43 PM

All replies

  • Hi Krausr79,

    >> If we run the same query from a different test form in the database then the update works ok.
    Do you mean non-work user run the same update query in different form in the same database and same pc?

    >> The main list update query cannot run and gives error 3073.

    I suggest you create a new form with main list to check whether it could be update.

    I suggest you check whether user open Access in read-only mode.

    In addition, I suggest you refer the link below to trouble shotting this issue.
    # Operation must use an updatable query. (Error 3073)
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb223637(v=office.12).aspx

    Best Regards,

    Edward


    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.


    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:36 AM
  • I made a temp table that I updated using VBA commands as the source for the main form instead of the list.  We were able to make updates then.  We also found the real problem:  The users were getting the front end with a script that loaded a local copy to their C drive and opened it.  For most users this is fine, but he had a screwy install of Access so the script was opening it in Interoperability mode instead of proper MS Access (which he actually did have).  When we opened Access first and opened the front end from there, then it worked as normal without needing a temp table.
    • Marked as answer by Krausr79 Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43 PM