none
Generating a Spreadsheet dependant on yes/no answers in a dialogue box RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, apologies if I have come to the wrong forum.

I am an intermediate user of Excel, so I have not created anything overly complicated before.

I am trying to develop an Excel based system for at work so that, on loading up an Excel file, the user will be greeted by a number of sequential dialogue boxes giving two choices on each (mostly yes/no options) and after navigating all the dialogue boxes, a spreadsheet will be populated dependant on those choices.

For instance, the dialogue boxes would ask:

Have you got an injured knee? Yes/No

Have you got an injured foot? Yes/No

etc...

The resulting spreadsheet would then populate with a list of exercises that could be undertaken by that individual based without aggravating any of the injured body parts and links to a word document or .pdf illustrating those exercises.

I am not a whizz with macros or visual basic, so any assistance is appreciated, even if it is a link to an existing file that I can edit and customise.

Friday, October 23, 2015 12:23 PM

Answers

• I am trying to develop an Excel based system for at work so that, on loading up an Excel file, the user will be greeted by a number of sequential dialogue boxes giving two choices on each (mostly yes/no options) and after navigating all the dialogue boxes, a spreadsheet will be populated dependant on those choices.

Nice idea, but oversized.

Write the question into a cell and create 2 hyperlinks into the cells on the right. This cells shows Yes and No and refers to the next cell (with the next question) or to a PDF file or web side or whatever.

Very simple and no macro is needed.

Andreas.

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:08 PM

All replies

• I am trying to develop an Excel based system for at work so that, on loading up an Excel file, the user will be greeted by a number of sequential dialogue boxes giving two choices on each (mostly yes/no options) and after navigating all the dialogue boxes, a spreadsheet will be populated dependant on those choices.

Nice idea, but oversized.

Write the question into a cell and create 2 hyperlinks into the cells on the right. This cells shows Yes and No and refers to the next cell (with the next question) or to a PDF file or web side or whatever.

Very simple and no macro is needed.

Andreas.

Friday, October 23, 2015 1:08 PM
  • CAUTION:

What you describe, if you're doing this in the US, is very close to software the FDA would consider a medical device. Check with your regulatory affairs and/or legal staff and/or an FDA staffer to make sure you stay out of trouble. You have to think about the results of A) User input errors and B) Code/Sheet issues that result in the wrong set of exercises being displayed C) What a lawsuit will cost you.

I work for an FDA regulated device company so I'm not just making this up...tread lightly and CYA before you get hurt.

Doug

Monday, October 26, 2015 12:16 PM
  • I kind of get the idea you might be involved in a PT business. Is so, I really recommend you either learn what you need for regulatory and legal software requirements or just buy commercial software that is (or can be shown to be) compliant. I did a quick search for PT software and found this which looks like it might work: https://www.webpt.com/features

If you are not in medical, then just ignore my posts.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:06 PM