none
Excel crashes on exit RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed a newer version of an Excel 2013 VSTO document-level customization. When I try to exit Excel with ALT+F4 the Excel application crashes. If I first close the document-level customization workbook and then afterwards Excel everything works fine. This behaviour only happens on one PC on which an older version of the Excel VSTO document-level customization was already installed, not on another PC were the document-level customization was installed the first time.

The VSTO document-level customization was developed with Visual Studio 2013 and as target .NET Framework 4.0. The version of excel is 2013.

Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:17 PM

All replies

• Did you change the product code in the installer of your add-in?

Typically the installer should detect the previously installed version and uninstall it automatically before installing a new one.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

I use ClickOnce as installer. Before I installed the new version I deinstalled the VSTO document-level customization.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Did you include all the required prerequsites?

Please make sure that you did all the steps described in the Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce article in MSDN.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:27 AM
  • Yes, all required prerequisites are included and I did the steps as described in the MSDN article.
    Sunday, August 17, 2014 11:32 AM
  • Hi Klare,

>>This behaviour only happens on one PC on which an older version of the Excel VSTO document-level customization was already installed<<

According to your description, suppose there was an older version of addin on this PC. After installing a new version, this issue happened.

How did you upgrade to a new version?

In this case, you could find this addin through Windows control panel:

You could unstall this addin and open the specified workbook to install the newest version.

Regards,

George.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 18, 2014 7:03 AM
  • Hi George,

thank you for your reply.

I have first uninstalled my old Version of the document-Level customization in the same way as you described and then I installed the newer Version.

Kind regards,
    Klaus

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:04 AM
  • Hi Klaus,

OK. Next action:

First, if you install a older version on a new computer and uninstall it and then install the newer one, does Excel application crash after pressing ALT+F4?

It would help us determine what caused this issue.

Second, I'm not sure whether this issue is related to environment. You could check the difference of environment between this computer and other computers. For example, you could check system, Office build number and bit number.

Third, is there anything in document close event?

Regards,

George

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 3:04 AM