Kinect V2 disconnects and reconnects on recent Intel chips -- Solution RRS feed

• Question

• Newer Intel chips have a power saving feature which is generally on, and not controllable through the UI.  If your app is based on eventing rather than polling, it is possible to have the CPU sleep enough that the system doesn't get frames pulled from the driver often enough, eventually leading to periodic device disconnects.  

If you are seeing this issue, then try the following:

From an elevated cmd prompt, type:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x7e060

then reboot the computer.

More details at: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Chris White _MSFT_

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:45 AM

All replies

• Is it possible to put some stickies in this forum? There are 4-5 threads that should be.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:17 AM
  • What counts as a "newer Intel chip"? 6th Generation Intel Core? Earlier? Later?

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:54 PM
  • Could I trouble you to sticky the following too? (If yes, I will delete the replies as soon as they are stickied).

For Troubleshooting
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

And the following as a new thread. Feel free to correct anything you see is wrong,just as long as the information gets stickied. Too many posts created about this misunderstanding.

How To Recognize Kinect Sensors

The key element is the version number(vX) of the sensor. X marks both the SDK and the sensor type we are talking about:
    Kinect v1 sensor == Kinect Xbox 360 == Kinect for Windows (v1) == Kinect SDK v1.5-1.8
    Kinect v2 sensor == Kinect Xbox One == Kinect for Windows v2 == Kinect SDK v2

The sensors themselves are identical between their Xbox and Windows edition counterparts.

Kinect for Windows series was created as more of a convenience for Windows users(adapter is built-in).
    The Xbox sensor + the Adapter is the same as buying Kinect for Windows,functionally. There is one downside
    to using the "for Windows" edition though. It's only for PC usage. The equivalent Xbox
    sensor + Adapter combination can work for both Xbox and PC.

At the point of this post's writing, the "for Windows" series has been discontinued. You might find it as forgotten stock in shops,
    but the official stores only feature the Xbox sensor plus the equivalent Adapter.

You can identify whether your sensor is for Windows or Xbox by checking whether there is an Xbox logo
    on one side of the sensor's front face. The "for Windows" sensor doesn't have a logo.

Also you can identify whether your sensor is the old one(v1) or the new one(v2) by its shape(You can google Xbox 360 and Xbox One Kinect
     sensor and check the differences).

Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:36 PM
  • What threads do you think should be marked sticky? (I just moved the trouble-shooting thread to be sticky)

Chris White _MSFT_

Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:49 PM
  • I don't have anything else concrete. I do remember various posts with other users where we wished for them.

What I do know is that a lot of recent posts where created due to people misunderstanding what version of the sensor they have(so a thread explaining all those pesky concepts would be nice as a sticky) and also lots of posts dealing with connectivity or hw compatibility issues(where I usually refer them to the Carmine Troubleshooting thread before looking for other solutions).

Perhaps a thread can be created for posting potential sticky threads and be up to the discretion of moderators/owners for actually stickying them.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:12 PM
  • Good idea... Done. :)

Chris White _MSFT_

Thursday, December 22, 2016 11:27 PM
  • By the way, does this affect polling as well? Like significantly low fps?
    Monday, February 20, 2017 6:03 PM
  • Two concerns with your post.

1) the command you give will over-write anything previously there. This could affect 3rd party, OEM, or even Microsoft support settings as in KB975530  or kb2000977

2) the link your provided does not have any content on it about this specific issue and/or registry setting. Instead, it is a generic tips page which doesn't even write about this specific issue. Do you have a replacement link which matches this topic?

--Dale

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:37 PM
  • After fighting with this for weeks, I finally found the root of my frequent disconnects. At some point, I had disabled the Xbox NUI Sensor Microphone Array to eliminate a feedback loop:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording

After re-enabling the Kinect microphone, the Kinect stopped disconnecting.

To eliminate the feedback loop, I reduced the Kinect microphone's level setting to 0. You can get to the level setting from the Recording tab in the Sound dialog. Select the Xbox NUI Sensor Microphone Array and click the Properties button. From there, select the Levels tab.

Saturday, April 8, 2017 1:59 PM
  • bonjour ,

j'ai eu le meme problème ,fonctionne sous Windows 8.1,windows 10.

Après un mois de recherche ,le pilote est bel et bien reconnu.

L'alimentation de la Kinect n'est pas assez puissante malgré une alimentation achetée spécifiquement pour la Kinect.

Remplacer l'alimentation par une autre de 1 ou 1,5Ampères.Celle fournie d'origine ne fournit pas 1A.........

Tiens moi informé....

Cordialement.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Exact same situation.  Re-enabling microphone array completely resolves disconnections!!!
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:04 PM
  • I have this problem and I tried this. I think it does not help anymore with Windows 10 1809.

Is there a new hint?

Thanks

Reto

Friday, October 26, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Where's the fix for this problem?
    Monday, October 29, 2018 7:05 PM
  • Hi Chris

Following this issue and how to fix it, I've found this other link, it seems to talk about addressing a similar issue related to Hyper-V. At the bottom of the page they show the same workaround published here.

But what has puzzled me is that, while here the proposed value to set is 0x7e060 , in that other link they propose 0x7e066.

So, that leads to a number of questions:

• From where these values come from?
    • Which is their meaning? I guess they're flags, but couldn't find any info on them.
    • What should we do if we find a machine that has the other value already set, we overwrite it?
    • Which one of these two values is correct? - I wonder if there was a transcription typo along the way...

Vicente Penades

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 11:41 AM
  • What if I get denied access? 
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 3:36 PM
  • After fighting with this for weeks, I finally found the root of my frequent disconnects. At some point, I had disabled the Xbox NUI Sensor Microphone Array to eliminate a feedback loop:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording

After re-enabling the Kinect microphone, the Kinect stopped disconnecting.

To eliminate the feedback loop, I reduced the Kinect microphone's level setting to 0. You can get to the level setting from the Recording tab in the Sound dialog. Select the Xbox NUI Sensor Microphone Array and click the Properties button. From there, select the Levels tab.

THANK YOU! I've been struggling for months trying to research ways to fix my Kinect Sensor from freezing after 10 seconds, this works, thank you SO much!

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:58 PM
  • Newer Intel chips have a power saving feature which is generally on, and not controllable through the UI.  If your app is based on eventing rather than polling, it is possible to have the CPU sleep enough that the system doesn't get frames pulled from the driver often enough, eventually leading to periodic device disconnects.  

Chris White _MSFT_

Chris White _MSFT_ your post make me abandon my Intel processor 8 th generation and buy one AMD Threadrippler. Please erase your observation, because is fake.

FAKE NEWS!  FAKE NEWS!  FAKE NEWS!  FAKE NEWS!  FAKE NEWS!  FAKE NEWS! 

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:49 PM
  • The turning off and on happened to me still even though its years later. Microphone was set to enabled. Updated drivers. Everything I had done googling the forums and still turned off and on. What I found in the end is that the kinect didn't like being connected to the front of my PC tower. I tried switching to the USB port on the motherboard, but then the kinect didnt work at all. Seemed to only work on the one port. I uninstalled the drivers connected the USB to the mother USB port and reinstalled the drivers. The kinect now works with no starting and stopping. 

It appears that the front USB ports were a shared or non PCI controller and wasn't working for what the kinect wanted. 

Hope this helps anyone having these issues and has tried everything out there to fix it.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:10 PM