none
Visual Studio 2015 does not show Python Intellisense

Question

• Hi,

I'm new to visual studio and Python. I'm trying to enable intellisense but as you can see in the screenshot below, its not working. I have installed Visual studio 2015 express and then installed python tools from https://microsoft.github.io/PTVS/

I googled but could not find how to enable intellisense in VS for python.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jag

Sunday, November 20, 2016 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Jag,

I think there is nothing wrong with Python in Intellisense, and intellisense feature in VS is enable by default. If you want to judge whether Intellisense for Python works or not, please refer to the following screenshot:

When I type inp words, the input method has been listed, please operate this step in your side, this step could help you judge whether Intellisense works in your side.

And I think, you have used a wrong syntax, I am not familiar with Python syntax, but in my side I get the following results.

If country is get from input method, I think you need invoke it directly, and if we define a string just like contryTest from above screenshot, you could call all string methods that listed by Intellisense.

Hope it helpful for you.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

I'm following the Microsoft python training as in the link below.I do get the intelli list when i type input as shown below but not when i type upper() as shown in the training video below

Thinking if we need to define on the top to import any string function? I did try import string but that didnt help

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/introduction-to-programming-with-python-8360?l=lqhuMxFz_8904984382

Regards,

Jag

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Hi Jag,

Thanks for your quick response.

Which chapter you are learning? And I could get upper method with Intellisense.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Just found the link below to install the python magic extension. How do i install it for visual studio?

https://github.com/MagicStack/MagicPython

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:11 AM
  • Hi jaggy,

I installed the Python tools via VS set up, please refer to the following screenshot (enable the option with red line):

>>the python magic extension. How do i install it for visual studio?

According to the above link, it was not support VS, it supports Visual Studio Code.

If my reply help you resolved your issue, would you please mark it as answer, if not, please feel free to let me know. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

• Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by qing__Moderator Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:45 AM
  • Yup, thats how I had installed the Python Tools.

Thanks

Jag

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi jaggy,

What is your meaning of your reply?

If my reply help you resolved your issue, would you please mark it as answer, which could help others who has the same issue as you.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:54 AM
  • During the initial setup of visual studio I had ticket the python tools box.

Thanks

Jag

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Hi jaggy,

Has my reply resolved your issue?

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Nope. I did try this and it did not help. Thats why I'm wondering whats wrong.

Jag

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Hi jaggy,

Please share me your current issue, the python magic extension is not support Visual Studio, it support Visual Studio Code, please refer to the REASME.md from the following link:

https://github.com/MagicStack/MagicPython

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:07 AM
  • Right, I can confirm upper works but it does not work when i use the input function. I'm working on the code provided with the Microsoft Python Training as shown below but when I use input visual studio does not show intellisense for upper()

Code from MS Python Training

As you can see below upper function appear but when input function is used in the second code intellisense does not work. I have looked at similar code on other python forums and the code seems to be correct.

Regards,

Jag

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hi jaggy,

Thanks for your response.

I have encountered the same issue as you in my side. I have helped you submitted a question to the following site, let us pay attention to this thread.

https://trainingsupport.microsoft.com/en-us/tcmct/forum/tcmct_other/introduction-to-programming-with-python-input/dec96d8c-c24f-43ed-819c-619f9551a184?tm=1479888220162

Would you could mark this reply as answer, which could help others, who encountered the same issue as us, comment it.

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:07 AM