none
Office add-in that works in Win 7 doesn't work in Win 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Are Office add-ins that work fine in Win 7 suppose to work in Win 8? Because mine doesn't.

Joel

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:39 PM

Answers

• Joel,

From the add-in's developer point of view, Windows 8 didn't introduce anything new. A possible difference is in the settings only. So, please make sure that you included all the required interops to the installer. Also please make sure that windows registry keys were added successfully by the installer.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• What references are you using in your add-in?  Is this a VB6 add-in by chance?  If so, it likely won't run in Windows 8.  If you're running a 64-bit version of Outlook, you also must make sure that your VSTO add-in was compiled using Any CPU for the platform.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook; About me)
    Outlook Appins: Store social media fields in your Outlook Contacts!
    Co-author, Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Step-By-Step

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:19 PM
  • Hello Joel,

There is nothing specific in Windows 8 that could stop an add-in from running.

> doesn't work in Win 8

Could you please be more specific? What do you mean saying "doesn't work"?

First of all, please make sure that you included all the required prerequisites to the installer (.Net framework, VSTO runtime and etc.). Then I'd recommend looking at the Disabled Items list. The How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article states the following:

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly (the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in).

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Is your add-in listed in the Disabled Items list?

Finally, I'd suggest going through the steps described in the Troubleshooting common VSTO issues – Part 1 and Troubleshooting common VSTO issues – Part 2 articles.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Thank you for the info.

It is a COM add-in to PowerPoint, which runs on 32-bit Office.

Is the Any CPU  compilation requirement specific for Win 8 - the add-in works for Win 7

Joel

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:24 AM
  • I have to ask the user for more details - I'll get back to you

Thanks, Joel

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 9:26 AM
  • Joel,

You need to set the target platform of your add-in project to the AnyCPU value if you want to support the x64 and x86 Office editions. You can read more about this in the Will your VSTO addin run on Office 2010 64-bit? Yes, probably.  article.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:18 PM
  • Thank you for the info.

It is a COM add-in to PowerPoint, which runs on 32-bit Office.

Is the Any CPU  compilation requirement specific for Win 8 - the add-in works for Win 7

Joel

Work versus doesn't work isn't very clear.  If you're saying you can see, find and activate the AddIn in one scenario, but not the other, it may be an setup issue.  Is it possible one installation uses 32-bit Office and other 64-bit?  If so, the two use different registry keys to register in Add-In.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:53 PM
  • ok, now I have some hard information about the problem:

When loading the add-in in PowerPoint 2010 running on Windows 8.1 we get the following message

===============================

Microsoft PowerPoint

===============

PowerPointAddin.dll is not a valid Office add-in.

================================

The user is running 32 bit Office and the add-in is for 32-bit

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Did you create a Windows Installer project to build the setup files for this add-in?  Did the user use the setup program to install it?

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook; About me)
    Outlook Appins: Store social media fields in your Outlook Contacts!
    Co-author, Microsoft Office 2013 Professional Step-By-Step

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:19 PM
  • Joel,

Please take a look at the Not a valid Office Add In forum thread which describes the similar issue. As I already wrote, you need to make sure that all the required prerequisites are included to the add-in installer and then they all are installed successfully on the end-user PC (if any is absent).

Also you need to check the required windows registry entries for the add-in. You can read more about them in the Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins article in MSDN.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:28 PM
  • answer is yes to both questions
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:52 PM
  • I had a look at the references you cite. As I said, the add-in works perfectly on PowerPoint 2010 on Win 7. I don't see any information in those references that distinguishes between Win 7 and Win 8.

Usually the problem with successive versions of Windows is that they increase the security and measures against malware and that also affects the legitimate add-ins. My guess is that that is what is happening here but I can't put my finger on it.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Joel,

From the add-in's developer point of view, Windows 8 didn't introduce anything new. A possible difference is in the settings only. So, please make sure that you included all the required interops to the installer. Also please make sure that windows registry keys were added successfully by the installer.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:11 PM
  • ok, I'll check that. Thanks Eugene
    Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:19 PM
  • I understand that this has been proposed as an answer. Unfortunately, I am not able to verify it right now since I don't have Win 8 installed. What happened was that a user installed our add-in product - which we have released for Win 7 - on Win 8 and encountered difficulties. I thought I could get a quick remedy for the user from this forum. But I understand from your answers that I can only check this with a copy of Win 8 - which I hope to get soon.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions

Joel 

joel

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 12:24 PM
  • You mark the post as answered after you get any results.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:37 PM