System programming. How to determine any VPN in the system?

Question

• Could you please help with some difficult system programming?

I'm trying to determine any enabled VPN tunnel on the PC.

But Windows Store App has a lot of restrictions... I cannot get routing table, or installed services, or list of the running processes.

There is any ideas how to determine VPN on maching? 

Friday, March 7, 2014 11:53 PM

All replies

• Sorry dima, I don't think Store App have the ability to know if the VPN tunnel is enabled.

The only possible way is to do a test connection, if the connection fails, then we know there is be something wrong with the VPN network.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:37 AM
  • Can I ask why it's important that the end-user has a VPN tunnel? 

Suppose you just connect to your resource, and on success, used the resulting socket.  Would it matter if the user had VPN or not?  And on failure, does it matter that the failure is a "VPN" failure versus anything else?

For specific VPNs, when you connect via a socket, you might check the resulting network adapter (socket-->Information-->LocalHostName-->IPInformation-->NetworkAdapter-->IanaInterfaceType.  (But IIRC, some VPNs simply record themselves as "Ethernet")

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Monday, March 10, 2014 5:56 PM
  • It's not for correct Internet connection. It's just some theoretical question - "Does user use VPN or not?"
    Monday, March 10, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Any reason why the theoretical question is useful for you?  I ask because we're always looking for what gaps exist in our API set: what apps people want to write, but can't. 

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:29 PM
  • It's some confidential information. But in short, it sounds like:

My project provides some VPN service and one our module (developed like windows store app) has to determine any VPN using. Using of our VPN is available (throw the internet request to our server) but determining of any VPN in the system is not available due to windows store app restrictions.

For example I cannot get routing table data, installed services and list of running processes. It very limits app functionality.

I understand that windows store app is very safety, but how to create any difficult system logic for winwos 8.1?   Windows store app cannot to have any system logic? So developers must to use old win API? Is Windows store app only light app?

• Edited by _dima Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:45 PM