none
Open MS word document for editing in existing MVC application RRS feed

• Question

• We have all the MS-word files as BLOBs in sql server and would like to open them in our web application for editing. Is there a way I can achieve this? Please help!
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:01 PM

Answers

• The first link mentions DSOBrowser, which can be used although it's deprecated adn worked better with older versions of Word... The WebBrowser control can also host the Word application.

The reason no MS product solutions are available, other than the above, is that for the last few years Microsoft hasn't supported developers hosting Word documents in non-Microsoft environments, for a number of reasons. Some third-party vendors have worked out their own solutions, which is what that's what's suggested in the links I posted.

<<We have to support both .doc and .docx files and want to use MS office Online or Office 365 whichever product can accommodate this feature.>>

The on-line versions of Office only work with *.docx and not the older *.doc files. Totally different file format, which requires a converter to open. Word On-line will open a *.doc, but will convert it to *.docx in order to do so. Other than that, I don't know many details... This forum targets the Word object model, meaning the desktop application. Best place to ask whether Office 365 can do what you wish would probably be:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=sharepointdevelopment&brandIgnore=True&sort=relevancedesc&searchTerm=365

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:48 PM

All replies

• Is it possible to open a existing word document in edit mode in a browser? i.e, I would like to open and edit existing word documents in my MVC application
    • Merged by L.HlModerator Friday, May 29, 2015 4:19 PM repeat thread
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:07 PM
  • I think you are looking for a tool for word online editor, you could take use of Free Online Document Editor (Edit Documents Online), easy to get it online
    Friday, May 29, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Doing a Google search turned up a number of questions, one of which is almost the duplicate of yours. Read through the discussions:

http://forums.asp.net/t/1768413.aspx?open+and+edit+the+word+document+in+web+browser

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/726293/can-you-do-complex-editing-of-word-documents-in-a-browser

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1053042/open-word-document-in-browser-with-inline-editing

What you can do also depends on the file version of these Word documents: are they *.doc or *.docx files?

Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

>> Is it possible to open a existing word document in edit mode in a browser?

Are you looking for an online editor? If it is, you may could turn to Asp.Net forums for more professional and effective help, for the forum is for questions about Word development (VBA, Word customization) .

Web app Forum: http://forums.asp.net/1146.aspx/1?MVC  

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 1, 2015 8:12 AM
  • Thanks Cindy for you input.

However non of the links above lead to a solution as using google docs or any third party editing software is not a solution I am looking for. I particularly looking for a solution using microsoft products. I see using Office Online could be a good solution but I am not sure how the I can use the One drive to populate my word doc file programmatically and access it online from there.

We have to support both .doc and .docx files and want to use MS office Online or Office 365 whichever product can accommodate this feature.

I have been searching over the net for the same with no luck.

Can anyone direct me to a place I can find more information on this.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 3:42 PM
  • The first link mentions DSOBrowser, which can be used although it's deprecated adn worked better with older versions of Word... The WebBrowser control can also host the Word application.

The reason no MS product solutions are available, other than the above, is that for the last few years Microsoft hasn't supported developers hosting Word documents in non-Microsoft environments, for a number of reasons. Some third-party vendors have worked out their own solutions, which is what that's what's suggested in the links I posted.

<<We have to support both .doc and .docx files and want to use MS office Online or Office 365 whichever product can accommodate this feature.>>

The on-line versions of Office only work with *.docx and not the older *.doc files. Totally different file format, which requires a converter to open. Word On-line will open a *.doc, but will convert it to *.docx in order to do so. Other than that, I don't know many details... This forum targets the Word object model, meaning the desktop application. Best place to ask whether Office 365 can do what you wish would probably be:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=sharepointdevelopment&brandIgnore=True&sort=relevancedesc&searchTerm=365

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Thanks for the explanation Cindy! I apologize for not mentioning file versions ahead. I will try to pick some brains in office 365 forum, as we need full tracking feature that is inbuilt in the MS word. This is also a main reason I am restricted to Microsoft products. I looked into Tx Text Control, Aspose, GroupDocs, Docx, Zoho and none of them support this feature. We cannot use Google Docs for the same in addition to security constraints.

Atleast now I have better idea of the situation :)

Appreciate everyone for their help on this.

Thanks a lot!

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:57 PM