none
[MS-WSUP] Serving UpdateInfo to Clients suddenly fails with "populating Datastore failed" with 0x80070057 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Currently implementing MS-WSUP to serve Updateinfo to clients. And sofar everything seemed to work fine. The client would load the UpdateInfo using SyncUpdates from my service, ask for extended update info, and report back the found Installations through ReportEventBatch.

    But today things started to fail, and i'm not sure why. I had reset my environments(testclient and my service). Now when the Client receives the first result from SyncUpdates (InstalledNonLeafUpdates and OtherCached lists are empty because of first call in fresh environment) it fails. Looking into the WindowsUpdatelog, i'm greeted with the line

    "FAILED: [80070057] populating Datastore failed"

    right after the sync call. The errorcode means "Invalid Parameter". And i'm totally confused. The first batch of updates it receives seems to be the same as yesterday(though need to dive in to check that). Is there any other log i can look into for some details on why this happened?

    Or is there anything specific to look for, on what i might have done wrong that provokes this error? (SOAP responses and CORE fragments look ok).

    My TestClient is a W10 1803
    My service reports a Protocolversion of 3.2 to the client.

    Thursday, May 16, 2019 7:21 PM

Answers

  • I found the Issue!

    In my response, the Deployment-Object had no LastChangeTime. The WSDL specifies it as optional but without that field, WUA seems to fail adding it to its internal database. So it is in fact required! (at least for 1.8 agents as it seems).

    Is it possible to clarify the Documentation a bit? Not sure if you want to modify the WSDL but it should note that this field is actually required.

    And another question: Not sure if its feasible as i don't know the complexity of the internals, but if possible, the log should print the data entry it failed to add.

    Seems i removed that field by accident. And now stuff seems to work again.


    • Marked as answer by Memnarch1 Friday, May 17, 2019 11:50 AM
    • Edited by Memnarch1 Friday, May 17, 2019 11:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 11:50 AM

All replies

  • Hello Memnarch1,

    Thank you for your question. One of our engineers will response soon.

    Thanks,


    Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

    Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:41 PM
    Moderator
  • I found the Issue!

    In my response, the Deployment-Object had no LastChangeTime. The WSDL specifies it as optional but without that field, WUA seems to fail adding it to its internal database. So it is in fact required! (at least for 1.8 agents as it seems).

    Is it possible to clarify the Documentation a bit? Not sure if you want to modify the WSDL but it should note that this field is actually required.

    And another question: Not sure if its feasible as i don't know the complexity of the internals, but if possible, the log should print the data entry it failed to add.

    Seems i removed that field by accident. And now stuff seems to work again.


    • Marked as answer by Memnarch1 Friday, May 17, 2019 11:50 AM
    • Edited by Memnarch1 Friday, May 17, 2019 11:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Hi Memnarch1,

    Thank you for letting us know. We will follow up and consider an update to our documentation. 

    Thanks,


    Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

    Friday, May 17, 2019 4:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Memnarch1,

    We have updated [MS-WUSP] to indicate that LastChangeTime of the SyncUpdates Deployment object is mandatory. 

    Thanks!


    Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

    Friday, June 14, 2019 8:52 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you! :)
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:24 PM