none
.Net Framework is about to make me cry RRS feed

• Question

• One day I was trying to install a video capture card onto my computer, but it did not work because of a .Net Framework 2.0 error. After a while someone told me I had to reinstall the 2.0 service package. I did that and when that did not work I tried to find what the new problem was. I typed in the error code and I found a page that told me to use a .Net cleanup tool (removing all traces of .Net from my computer) and then re-install the .Net versions needed (here's the page: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/netfxbcl/thread/e40d80ca-6fe7-403d-b576-d6d72ef5e349 ). Now that I've started to do this with .Net 1.0 however, a message is popping up that looks like this: The install cannot continue because this version of the .NET Framework is incompatible with a previously intallled one. : What the hell do I do?! I've been have problems with .Net for about a year now (befor which I never knew it exsisted) and I've still found no solution. I really don't want to pay Geek Squad the $70 they quoted me to do something everyone else thinks is so simple!

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:59 AM

Answers

• Hi JerichoJared,

Thank you for your post.

First, could you please let me know what your OS and Service Pack level is?

Second, you said you have used .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. Actually, due to that we find this tool would make OS corrupt in some scenarios, we do not recommend customers use it. It is not available in Microsoft website.

Third, I also recommend you use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks you have installed.

1. If your OS is Windows 7/Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista, .NET Framework 2.0 is embedded as a OS components. If you find these .NET Frameworks failed to verify, it means some of your system components are corrupt. I recommend you try to repair or reinstall OS to resolve this problem.

2. If your OS is Windows XP/Windows 2000 SP3/Windows ME/Windows 98/Windows Server 2003 and you failed to verify .NET Framework 2, I recommend you uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 via MSiInv Tool. You can download MsiInv here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx.

After you download it, you can use msiexec /x (make sure that you include the curly braces in this command line) to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0. If the product is actually installed on your system you will see a progress screen and uninstall will complete, and from there you should be able to re-run VS or .NET Framework setup and successfully install.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 22, 2011 9:51 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:32 AM

All replies

• One day I was trying to install a video capture card onto my computer, but it did not work because of a .Net Framework 2.0 error. After a while someone told me I had to reinstall the 2.0 service package. I did that and when that did not work I tried to find what the new problem was. I typed in the error code and I found a page that told me to use a .Net cleanup tool (removing all traces of .Net from my computer) and then re-install the .Net versions needed (here's the page: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/netfxbcl/thread/e40d80ca-6fe7-403d-b576-d6d72ef5e349 ). Now that I've started to do this with .Net 1.0 however, a message is popping up that looks like this: The install cannot continue because this version of the .NET Framework is incompatible with a previously intallled one. : What the hell do I do?! I've been have problems with .Net for about a year now (befor which I never knew it exsisted) and I've still found no solution. I really don't want to pay Geek Squad the $70 they quoted me to do something everyone else thinks is so simple!

• Merged by Alexander Sun Monday, August 15, 2011 7:15 AM duplicate
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:02 AM
  • On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 2, install the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 or the .NET Framework 3.5.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906894

Faraz
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:12 AM
  • First, to help you we need to know what Windows version you have. Solutions to your .NET Framework 2.0 issue will differ depending on your Windows version.

Second, you need to understand that the major .NET Framework versions are independent of each other, so .NET Framework 1.0 has nothing to do with your .NET Framework 2.0 issue.

There are four (4) major .NET Framework versions:

1.0 (old, seldom needed)

2.0/3.0/3.5 (all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0)

.NET Framework 2.0 is installed as an integral part of Windows Vista and Windows 7. You CANNOT remove it from those OS's, even with the removal tool.

If you have Windows XP, you must FIRST remove 3.5, then 3.0 before you can remove 2.0.

For detailed recommendations on your problem, please respond with your Windows version!

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:36 PM
  • First, to help you we need to know what Windows version you have. Solutions to your .NET Framework 2.0 issue will differ depending on your Windows version.

Second, you need to understand that the major .NET Framework versions are independent of each other, so .NET Framework 1.0 has nothing to do with your .NET Framework 2.0 issue.

There are four (4) major .NET Framework versions:

1.0 (old, seldom needed)

2.0/3.0/3.5 (all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0)

.NET Framework 2.0 is installed as an integral part of Windows Vista and Windows 7. You CANNOT remove it from those OS's, even with the removal tool.

If you have Windows XP, you must FIRST remove 3.5, then 3.0 before you can remove 2.0.

For detailed recommendations on your problem, please respond with your Windows version!

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Hi JerichoJared,

Thank you for your post.

First, could you please let me know what your OS and Service Pack level is?

Second, you said you have used .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. Actually, due to that we find this tool would make OS corrupt in some scenarios, we do not recommend customers use it. It is not available in Microsoft website.

Third, I also recommend you use .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool to verify the .NET Frameworks you have installed.

1. If your OS is Windows 7/Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista, .NET Framework 2.0 is embedded as a OS components. If you find these .NET Frameworks failed to verify, it means some of your system components are corrupt. I recommend you try to repair or reinstall OS to resolve this problem.

2. If your OS is Windows XP/Windows 2000 SP3/Windows ME/Windows 98/Windows Server 2003 and you failed to verify .NET Framework 2, I recommend you uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 via MSiInv Tool. You can download MsiInv here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx.

After you download it, you can use msiexec /x (make sure that you include the curly braces in this command line) to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0. If the product is actually installed on your system you will see a progress screen and uninstall will complete, and from there you should be able to re-run VS or .NET Framework setup and successfully install.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 22, 2011 9:51 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:32 AM