none
Tracking Changes RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

I am currently in the process of writing up some functional design specification documentations for a system that collects form data as part of a regulatory process.

One of my requirements is that there needs to be some form of track change functionality. This is to highlight any changes during a process of an application being sent back and forth between the organisation and applicant until it satisfies regulatory requirements.

One idea is that we replicate the track changes that can be found within MS word. This will allow changes to be highlighted and suggested changes that can be accepted or reject.

Does anyone know if this is a possibility using .net?

Regards

SJH

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hello SJH,

What format are your forms in?  If they are bespoke (generic xml or sql) and how the user maintains/views them is bespoke, then you pretty much have to take care of all aspects yourself.  So yes, .net can be used and there are techniques that can be used to facilitate this but nothing that I know of out of the box.

If the forms are word docs/google docs, etc., then the functionality is built in...  If the format is a standard (re., EDI, HL7, etc.) then I would hunt for an off the shelf package that already takes care of this.

Cheers, Jeff

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:45 PM
  • Hi GD_root_69,

>>one of my requirements is that there needs to be some form of track change functionality.

What does the change mean? Like create, delete or save a file? Or you want to get the data changed in the file?

If you want to track the changed of a file, you could try to use FileSystemWatcher
    in .net.

You could download some source files from code project for reference.

https://www.codeproject.com/search.aspx?q=filesystemwatch&doctypeid=1%3b2%3b3%3b13%3b14

If you want to know the data changed in the file, you could save the original data and new data, after that compare it.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:51 PM