How can I improve the performace of my application? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am developing an application in .net with sql server 2000 as backend. My problem is every day lacs of records are inserted in the database which is causing performance related problems in my application. But I dont know how to overcome this problem. Everyday the application is getting slower and slower.

Can anyone help me.

regards,

Paramhans.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:34 AM

Answers

• Hi again,

Let me help you by providing you this piece of text from a webpage about indexes and database performance:

"the overall best recommendation is to add a clustered index to a column that monotonically increases (assuming there is a column that does so), for best overall performance. This is especially true if the table is subject to many INSERTS, UPDATES, and DELETES. But if a table is subject to few data modification, but to many SELECT statements, then this advice is less useful, and other options for the clustered index should be considered"

This, together with more usefull basics when it comes to database performance tuning, can be found on this webpage:

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2005/01/04/sql-server-database-index-performance

Hope this helps you a step further. I must say that specific database performance tuning is very DBA related. Good DBA are able to investigate how data should be organized into a database, in order to comply with the way the data is retrieved and presented to the user.

regards,

Nico

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:19 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Most of the times these kind of performance problems are related to SQL server. I don't know the details of your application layer, but I would suggest you to start at investigating the indexes. Your indexes can be optimized for tables on which a lot of inserts happen.

Hope this helps you out!

regards,

Nico

Friday, May 30, 2008 8:02 AM
  • Hi Nico,

Thanx for ur reply. But can u brief me on wht u r saying? I cant give u the full details of my application but all I can tell u is this application is related to share market. so millions of records r inserted every day which is causing the application the to run slow as I m not related to DBA field so I dont know how to tackle this problem. Any kind of help from ur side may help me to overcome this problem.

Thanx again.

Regards,

Paramhans

Friday, May 30, 2008 10:19 AM
  • Hi again,

Let me help you by providing you this piece of text from a webpage about indexes and database performance:

"the overall best recommendation is to add a clustered index to a column that monotonically increases (assuming there is a column that does so), for best overall performance. This is especially true if the table is subject to many INSERTS, UPDATES, and DELETES. But if a table is subject to few data modification, but to many SELECT statements, then this advice is less useful, and other options for the clustered index should be considered"

This, together with more usefull basics when it comes to database performance tuning, can be found on this webpage:

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2005/01/04/sql-server-database-index-performance

Hope this helps you a step further. I must say that specific database performance tuning is very DBA related. Good DBA are able to investigate how data should be organized into a database, in order to comply with the way the data is retrieved and presented to the user.

regards,

Nico

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:19 AM
  •  

hi Nico,

All I can say is thanx a lot for all ur help. Your post helped me a lot and I hope it'll help me to rectify my problem.

thanx again.

Regards,

Paramhans.

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:33 PM
  •  

http://www.sql-server-performance.com has lots of great tips for monitoring and improving SQL Server performance.

HTH..

Joe

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:24 PM