none
Multiple Subreports in Footer. Data is lost on Loading the report. Works fine in Preview but not in Visual Studio 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have two subreports which I have placed in the Reportfooter section of the main report. They are also each in their own fotter sections ( Report footer a andReport footer b). Running in preview mode gives me the datea in all three sections required. Running in debug mode i visual studio returns only the main report data and blank subreports (headings but no data) in both subreports.

I am using separate datasets for the main and subreports and am sure they each have data before the reportviewer datasource object is used.

Am I doingf something I shouldnt?

Thanks for you help

Bear

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:47 PM

All replies

• What happens if you move the subreports out of the footer and into the bottom of the main section?

Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Adding the subreports to the main page doesnt work because:

1. I have grouped data so a subreport will appear per group.

2. The two subreports merge into each other for som reason. maybe I need to know a bit more about a format object that will help me keep them separate.

3. I cannot add them to the "Page" foooter because the subreport would show on each page and not at the end of the report.

Hope this makes sense. thanks for your input though...Hope you have a few more ideas...

Bear

• Edited by BearlyThere Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:04 AM typo
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Are you using Lists?

Put a list on your main report and move the main report components into the list. Remove the grouping on the main report and put grouping on the list. That way the list will run through all the groups first, executing all the components you have in the list.

Then place another list below the first list and put your first sub report in that list. Then add a third lists below the first two. Put your second subreport in that third list.

This should issolate the two subreports from each other and keep the main report grouping from impacting the subreports.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I have never used a list in a report.  Do you mean dropdown lists to filter what is presented? Is there somewhere you could point me to so I can knock a quick List onto onto my page. I've looked around but nothing useful came up. A very basic tutorial would get me on my way...

Thanks again.

Bear

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 12:27 PM
  • Try here;

http://www.gotreportviewer.com/lists/index.html

A list is what iderates over your set of data. I'll try to show this in words,

ReportBody Start

List 1 Start

Table containing Data

List 1 End

List 2 Start

Sub report 1

List 2 End

ReportBody End

Hopefully this makes some sense. Basically a list is a container to hold report objects. The purpose of the list is to force interation or repetition of the report objects over all the data. This is why when you put the subreport in the main body, it was the same as putting it in the same list as your data display, table or text boxes. By issolating your subreport from your main data display objects, you then only get one instance of the sub report.

Now that I think about it, your subreport may not need a list, but your main report does. Your sub report may be able to be in the body after the list for the main report.

Does this make any sense?

Bernie

Also read this;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252086(VS.80).aspx

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:30 PM