Showing Settings pane and subscribing to hide event RRS feed

• Question

• I have been looking through a bunch of sample code online but haven't been able to find an example that addresses what I'm trying to do, so I figured I would ask here.

I want to show the Settings pane and subscribe for the "beforehide" event but I don't know how to do it.  I understand that WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout.show() and that WinJS.UI.SettingsFLyout.addEventListener is not static.  So it seems like I have to instantiate a WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout, subscribe to the "beforehide" event, then show it.  However, my attempts to do this have been successful.  Here is my latest draft that does not work:

var settingsFlyout = new WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout(document.createElement(document.uniqueID), {});
    settingsFlyout.show();
    settingsFlyout.addEventListener("beforehide", function (e) {
       // Etc...
    });

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:51 PM

All replies

• You can do this in the HTML. Here is how I do it.

<div data-win-control="WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout" aria-label="Blu settings flyout" data-win-options="{ settingsCommandId: 'defaults', width: 'wide', onbeforeshow: appSettingsOnBeforeShow }" id="appSettingsFlyout">

You can sub onbeforeshow with onbeforehide.

T.A., Apexa, www.apexa.co

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  Does anyone know of a way to do this only in JavaScript?
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:59 PM
  • What JavaScript would I use in order to be able to launch this thing?  I want to get to the top-level settings page, same as if the user hit Charms > Settings or if I invoked WinJS.UI.SettingsFlyout.show().  If I do:

var settingsFlyout = document.getElementById("appSettingsFlyout");
    settingsFlyout.winControl.show();

I only see whitespace.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:15 PM