HelpViewer broken for TFS API? RRS feed

• Question

• [I posted this question last night in this forum. It appears that some robot moderator moved this question to a compeltely different forum. The questions concers the API for TFS Version control, so more more forum can be more appropriate than this one. And particularly, if there is anyone who has found a workaround, this is the most likely forum to find such a person.]

I'm installing a new machine, and I slapped Visual Studio 2015 (and a few more versions of VS on it). Then I selected Help, ask for local content, and made my selections to download. That included Application Lifecycle Management. When the download was completed, I looked around in the contents to find the reference for the TFS VersionControl classes that I have occasionally have need to consult.

When I did not find them, I looked up one of the classes, VersionControlServer, in the index, and indeed it was there. Now I selected "Sync with contents" from the toolbar. Whereupon the cursor went to the top node! That is, it seems that the contents is there, but it is not in the table of contents. And for a class reference, that is almost the same as the contents is not there.

When I think of it, I think I've seen this on my machine at work where I have VS 2013.

Anyone who has any tips to fix this?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Erland,

The reason that I moved that thread to VS General forum is that the issue is related to HelpViewer and I confirmed with VS General moderator, the VS General forum is the better place for this issue.  If you want to know how to use TFS API, the TFS forum is the better place.

Based on the previous thread, Jack-Zhai replied, please check it on previous thread.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 1, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Starain,

this *is* a TFS forum. More precisely, it is the TFS forum for version control. The issue I am seeing is likely to apply to the TFS API in general. However, I only have interest in the version-control classes which is why I posted in this forum, and as I said this is also the only TFS forum that I follow. And overall the question is of interest to anyone in this forum that uses the TFS API for version-control, and, yes, we have seen such posts here.

I don't believe that the issue is not really with the HelpViewer as such, but my assumption is that the source of the contents which is broken, and that also seems to be Jack Zhai's conclusion.

This is how the TOC looks like on my old computer that has VS2012:

When you expand the node Extending Team Foundation, you find a whole slew of namespaces.

This is how it looks on my new box where I used the HelpViewer from VS2015 to get the contents:

_

You may note that the node Extending... is missing. Still the contents is there. It is just missing from the table of contents.

I do have a theory. If I take some piece text from one of the namespaces and go the Search tab on my VS2015 machine and search for that text, I find that page. But if I take text from the "Extending..." topics in the screen shot above, I get no hits. So it seems that these topics were ripped out for whatever reason.

Can you now please move back the original thread to this forum and merge it with this one?

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, January 1, 2016 11:05 AM
  • Erland,

this is a general issue affecting other parts of the documentation and it is known since 3-4 weeks:

VS2015: .NET Framework content missing in Help Viewer?

Help Viewer Content for ".NET Framework 4.6 and 4.5" missing on Microsoft Connect where you can add your comment and vote for it.

but I doubt that it will be fixed soon otherwise it would have been confirmed & fixed by MSFT already.

(any issues with Help Viewer in the past took a long time to get fixed - if at all :-) )

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Friday, January 1, 2016 11:28 AM
  • Thanks Daniel.

I am not surprised that this is a general problem. I noticed a similar problem with the SQL Server Language Reference (which I have brought up with the SQL Server team). In that particular case, it was possible for me to revert to an older and complete version of the documentation.
    When it comes to the TFS API, I believe the problem exists also if you download the documentation from the HelpViewer with VS2013, but I don't have that version installed at home, only at work.

It's sad to see that the documentation from Microsoft is only going downhill. Accidents can happen which can explain the incomplete documentation, but when it causes no reaction that is alarming.

In my case, I think I going to place by bets on VS2012 since I that was a version I did install. And it comes with a premade shortcut for the HelpViewer, no need to start it from inside VS.

Friday, January 1, 2016 9:33 PM
  • I investigated the other case a little more, and it seems to be different than then case for the TFS API. In other case, the documentation for System.Linq.Enumerable and all other classes in the System.Linq namespace are missing entirely. That is, they don't seem to be present at all. While in the TFS case, the contents is there, but not just findable from the TOC.

Friday, January 1, 2016 10:48 PM
  • Hi Erland,

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 4, 2016 2:04 AM
  • Hi Erland,

Thanks for your feedback. I can reproduce this issue in my Help Viewer 2.2, and I will report it internally. 

I found that Jack helped you submit one feedback request, I already voted it. 

Thanks. 

Monday, January 4, 2016 7:15 AM
  • For the record, I am now at work where I have VS 2013, and the issue is the same, the nodes for Extending Team Foundation are missing, but the information below is still there.

The version of the Help Viewer is not likely to matter. I'm using Help Viewer 2.1 at work. (Because I had VS2012 previously, and already had a shortcut to it at on the desktop.)

Monday, January 4, 2016 11:49 AM