Rebuilding and Isolated Storage RRS feed

• General discussion

• I know from earlier (about 2 months back) threads that if my project is rebuilt, then Isolated Storage is cleared. Today, I rebuilt one of my project by mistake. When I loaded it into my device, as all others have known, the old one was uninstalled before loading the new one.

That was unfortunate, as it is an update that I was planning for one of my apps. Of course, the update is not a major one. Still I am worried.

I want to know if my users download this update, will their Isolated Storage also be cleared?
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:08 PM

All replies

• Rebuilding and deploying from Visual Studio is completely different from a consumer updating an app.  App updates do not clear isolated storage.  It is up to your app to handle the potential update of existing files in isolated storage.
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:59 PM
  • @Steve, that gives me some respite but not peace of mind. Did you experience yourself no issues with such a update?

Are there any one who actually experienced such a thing in the developer community?
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:08 PM
  • It has been mentioned many times by MS staff in these forums, and even in the documentation.  Many hundreds of apps have been updated in the Marketplace without losing data in isolated storage.  I'm not sure what else you are looking for.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 1:01 AM
  • It has been mentioned many times by MS staff in these forums, and even in the documentation.  Many hundreds of apps have been updated in the Marketplace without losing data in isolated storage.  I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

Hi Steve,

No offense, but note the following:

1. All that is told by MS staff has been found many times different to what many had been experiencing.
    2. The documentation tells that Isolated Storage is not affected by Updates. True. But it doesn't talk about my issue categorically. As you earlier said, it may be different between developer re-build and marketplace update. That provided me some 'respite'.
    3. No doubt many have updated their apps. But I was asking for a specific assertion from any that they had re-built their project during developement and found no issues when the users have updated their apps. That would give me 'peace of mind'.

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:21 AM
  • The first person that comes to mind that I think can best give you piece of mind is Ginny Caughey. Before the Marketplace was open to the public she had an opportunity to do some testing on the update process with Microsoft for a password management application she made. Loosing user password data from an update would have been a fatal failure for her application. I user her application and can tell you the password data is preserved in application updates but she could tell you more about her experience. She's easy to find and reach (ex: Twitter).
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:55 PM
  • The first person that comes to mind that I think can best give you piece of mind is Ginny Caughey. Before the Marketplace was open to the public she had an opportunity to do some testing on the update process with Microsoft for a password management application she made. Loosing user password data from an update would have been a fatal failure for her application. I user her application and can tell you the password data is preserved in application updates but she could tell you more about her experience. She's easy to find and reach (ex: Twitter).

Hi Joel,

That is promising. I know Ginny from previous WP7 forum. Hope she will is still watching this forum. Let me see if I can catch her. However, my issue is with rebuilding the project and then posting the update. Normally, as Steve said, it shouldn't affect. But normally I don't rebuild project. When I sideloading after rebuilding, what was on my phone was uninstalled before loading the rebuilt xap. So whatever in Isolated Storage was lost. That's why I am looking for more confirmations, from the people who also updated their apps on marketplace after, by mistake, rebuilding their projects.

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:50 PM
  • When users get an update to your app, they don't lose the data stored by it in isolated storage. Password Padlock has released 5 updates, and so far nobody has complained that they lost data. The only issue is with Trial versions. Sometimes Trial versions of apps (including mine) don't update correctly from Marketplace, and the only way to get the update is to uninstall and reinstall the app, which does cause you do clear the old app's isolated storage.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 6:10 PM
  • That is very much assuring! I will submit an update for my app after little more testing.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:21 PM