Windows 8 Removal and no booting problem

Question

• A few hours ago 7am Sat 08th October, I downloaded the windows 8 development os, onto my Lenovo S10. Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel Atom N270 1.6gHz

Ram: 1GB DDR2

HDD: 160GB Western Digital

No Optical Drive.

I installed windows 8 dev os without using a cd. I installed it while I was using XP, so when I wanted to change back, I couldn't. I tried using the Boot loader software from nero systems and it said that Three was no valid install of Windows XP. Next, I tried to delete the partitions and now I can't boot up after the boot choices option. I tried to reinstall the XP os using an external CD drive, but the cd drive wont open after a few seconds of plugging it in to the usb. I suspect that the USB had lost power after pressing any key to boot up the CD.

Can you please help me, as I use this laptop for school purposes. I will be grateful for your help.

P.S: Can you show me how I should dual boot the dev os and xp separately?

Noooo
    • Moved by Mike Kinsman Monday, October 10, 2011 12:13 PM Moving to Windows Dev Preview Form (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:19 AM

Answers

• The same applies for booting off a USB external HD / flash drive. Rather disconnect your internal HD to preserve the system on it.

If you get an adapter that slots into a floppy bay - or a rack - and mount your regular HD in it, you can shut it down and remove it and slot in a HD with Windows 8 on it. These are not expensive items.

Hope this is helpful

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• This is what I experienced when first running Windows 8 on a system that had Windows 7 on it.

Fortunately, I keep clones of all my systems - from which I can boot up - or prime back onto the original drive / partition.

Unless you know how to change the boot loader DO NOT DUAL BOOT WINDOWS 8 with any other OS, whether they are on two partitions of one hard drive - or even on two separate hard drives. If you MUST have it on the same configuration - the only way we have found is by running it in a virtual machine under VMWare.

The safest way I found - is to either unplug the drive with your original OS on it - and connect another HD with Windows 8 on it. A handy device is a 'Rack' into which you can plug one HD at a time. This still entails disconnecting the internal HD and plugging it into the 'Rack' when required.

When Windows 8 is booted up - it detects whether there are any other OS's available on your system - and takes control of them. WHile they co-exist you will experience no problems - but once you have assessed Windows 8 and it's look and feel - and decide to remove Windows 8 (even if on a second HD), Your other system cannot use the boot manager correctly and ALL your file tables seem to become unusable. The syetem will try and recover - and wipe out everything - including all the systems you were hoping would run independantly.

Now that I have two pc's running independant Windows 8 - I am enjoying taking a look and getting acquainted with what MSFT have incorporated in it. The performance of everything from 'Boot-up' to 'Shut-down' seems to be so much more efficient, despite the extra facilities available in the 'Developer' version.

As the generic drivers installed did not have certain capability that I required - I resorted to importing the Vista drivers that I hade been using in Windows 7 on the same hardware. On the second system I used a 3rd party utility to find an audio driver for the onboard VIA sound chip. In both cases - the Audio in particular seems to have a 40% boost in level and quality for some reason.

The final release will not come quick enough for me.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Would a USB bootable OS do as well?
    Noooo
    • Proposed as answer by bwbta Friday, October 14, 2011 1:20 AM
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:01 AM
  • The same applies for booting off a USB external HD / flash drive. Rather disconnect your internal HD to preserve the system on it.

If you get an adapter that slots into a floppy bay - or a rack - and mount your regular HD in it, you can shut it down and remove it and slot in a HD with Windows 8 on it. These are not expensive items.

Hope this is helpful

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:33 PM
  • I solved the problem thanks to you.
    Noooo
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 2:04 AM
  • You'll do best to put it on a second hard drive and boot to the hard drive alone with nothing on that hard drive. Win8 is not playing well with ANY other operating system. I have Win7, Win Vista, WinXP  Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Kubuntu on one  1.5TB hard drive and a 250 GB drive just for Win 8. I went through major trauma getting 8 on my PC and even tried reloading Ubuntu to pull up a Boot GRUB and NO DICE. You just need to put Win8 all by itself until the devs get that bug fixed.

Now my brother ended up reloading his entire computer. He had all I did on his and more. We whiteboxed our own computers. He said he had good luck with a trial version of Win 7 he downloaded from Microsoft site finding the windows programs. He keeps his Linux programs and Unix on one hard drive now and all the Windows programs on another. Since we both have Gigabyte MOBOs we can choose the drive one button at computer boot up in the Gigabyte boot screen. That helps otherwise you have to go the CMOS choose a drive route. We don't use boot managers to much money and hassle. Linux was our manager but Win8 is rabid when it comes to Linux and XP.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:38 AM
  • If anybody want to get their Windows Xp back in boot menu  after installing windows 8  then just go with these tutorials http://goo.gl/BdcCb it worked for me :)
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 9:41 PM