Problems with Lightswitch 2012 login screen using table in sql for Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Problems with Lightswitch 2012 login screen using table in sql for Authentication

Thank you in advance for your help. First, I noticed two problems. I am using Lightswitch for VS 2012 , with sql 2012 database as data source. I have selected forms authentication,  but want the user/password info to be checked against a table from this same database.

a) When I try to debug and test, the login screen that is automatically created by LS never comes up.his happens even though in the Properties - Access Control tab I created permissions that do NOT have the Grant for debug box checked.
    Hitting F5 takes you straight to the HOME page, bypassing any validation

b) the page  set as home screen is always read only. Is this a bug? Note I did NOT publish this. its F5 mode.

c) I assume the way we get Forms authentication to look at the database table is in the web config. How is this done, assuming the table is called userHT?

• Edited by Avitools Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Avitools,

When you enable Windows or Forms authentication in a LightSwitch app, a set of SQL tables are used to store the user and role data. It uses the default set of SQL tables that LightSwitch generates in its intrinsic database. 

We can select the Access Control tab to specify the type of authentication you want to employ as well as what user permissions you want to define.

Please refer to this blog below to check it on your side.

Controlling Access with User Permissions

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:31 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Avitools,

When you enable Windows or Forms authentication in a LightSwitch app, a set of SQL tables are used to store the user and role data. It uses the default set of SQL tables that LightSwitch generates in its intrinsic database. 

We can select the Access Control tab to specify the type of authentication you want to employ as well as what user permissions you want to define.

Please refer to this blog below to check it on your side.

Controlling Access with User Permissions

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:31 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 9:36 AM
  • new issue:

Lightswitch 2012 project failed to publish when using SQL Server EXPRESS 2012 

when I Publish the Database Schema

Hi again. As long as I stay with sql servwe 2008 r2 , there is no problem publishing. But try to use the same vs 2012 with sql server 2012 express and I get the following error when I when I Publish the Database Schema. Of course, without publishing the schema, it fails on the login scrren. THIS WORKS WELL WITH sql server 2008.

An exception occurred when deploying the d. atabase for the application. Errors occurred while modeling the target database.  Deployment can not continue.

error is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v3.0\Publish\v1.8\Microsoft.LightSwitch.Publish.targets

My guess is there is incompatible versions of code running together, so here is the platform

a) vs 2012 regular

b) sql server 2012 express (sp2)

c) WPI inststalled 

d) LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2012 - Server Configuration with local SQL.
    (note: there is the run time for 2012 on machine too) 

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:52 PM