none
SQL Server Express 2013 SP3 Quite Simple (/QS) Mode does not display weak password error

Question

• If your Windows OS (or Domain) has some password policy and while installing SQL Server you use a weak password then it gives you an error saying password does not match password policy. This is all in full UI mode installation.

In my case I am using basic UI (or Quite Simple) mode to install SQL Server. I was expecting it will show me the password policy error since I am using a weak password. However the case it, the installation just gets terminated without saying anything. Upon investigating the detail log you can see the error is there in the log.

I am using below argument to install SQL server.

/QS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION=Install /UpdateEnabled=False /FEATURES=SQL,Tools /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" /SAPWD=SomeWeakPassword /SECURITYMODE=SQL /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN /TCPENABLED=1 /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic

Does anyone have any idea how I can display the error while using basic UI mode installation?

Humayun Kabir Foysol

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:34 PM

All replies

• keep some strong password where symbol,capital and small letter involed

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem.

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Hi Vishe,

You are stating me the obvious. I know strong password solves my problem. I want to know if there is a way I can make the installation process to display the error that my password does not match the password policy. I am using this basic UI installation as a prerequisite of another installation. 

As you can see my question is "Does anyone have any idea how I can display the error while using basic UI mode installation?"

Thanks for you time though.

Humayun Kabir Foysol

Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Hi Humayun Kabir Foysol,

>> The specified sa password does not meet strong password requirements. For more information about strong password requirements, see "Database Engine Configuration - Account Provisioning" in Setup Help or in %SQL_PRODUCT_SHORT_NAME% Books Online.

I see what you mean here. As you may notice this behavior is documented here The /QS switch only shows progress, does not accept any input, and displays no error messages if encountered. ’ And there is no workaround at this moment.

For now, you options are:
    1. Use strong password.
    2. Use Windows authentication only.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:16 AM