Modeling BPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone from Spain!

My company is going to SOA, glup, and we are looking at BPM, how to model it and which tool could be the best.

Do you know any good best practice or methodology for BPM modeling?

Do you know any good tool?

Please, answer.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Visio does BPM modelling. 

I guess it depends on what you wanted to do?  If you were something that would allow you to automate some part of developing prototypes or whatever, then I doubt that Visio would be really helpful there.  If that's what you're after then there are quite a few languages and applications that will perform that service for you.  How good they are, I don't know. 

I thought that I'd reply, so that you know that people are listening!

Thanks,

Martin Platt.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Take allok on the WF - Windows workflow foundation , Also anew open source project nServiceBus .

Hope this help...

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Wasim, it depends on what is your technology stack for BPM is going to be.  There are pure play BPM vendors like Global 360, Courion, etc., some ECM based BPM vendors like FileNET, Documentum, etc., EAI based BPM vendors like webMethods, TIBCO, etc.,

If you are on Microsoft .NET shop and not plan on buying additional tools, probably mixing WF and BizTalk or OpenBPEL can help you doing some of those.  Visio is only for diagram purpose but you want to build the process maps that is pluggable to the BPMS fabric...

www.BPMInstitute.org is a dedicated BPM site for quite a lot of valuable information on BPM.  www.BRSilver.com is also a good place.

Hope the information helps.

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Visio is not a process modeling tool.  It is a drawing tool.  Nice to look at, but hard for a computer to read (or a database to store the info.)

Casewise Corporate Modeler is a strong modeling tool for process, data, location, application, technology, and organization.  It is helpful for extracting and documenting what business users explain, plus it is a relational database.  That means objects are reusable and when you change\update the name of an object, you do it in a single place, not on every drawing.  You can also run reports that show the relationship of multiple objects.

Something called BPMN is used to notate business process models, but you need to use BPEL to execute the business process language.  You almost need to be a business analyst to extract and record the info you need to use BPEL.  Corporate Modeler has BPMN extensions, but you need BPEL and another app to make it run.

The pure play BPMS vendors have pretty good process modeling tools.  If they don't the decision makers won't choose them.

This area of discussion is one of the most interesting around because if you ask a technology person the question, you get an answer that is almost totally perceived from "underneath the glass" of business process.  Business people on the other hand give you an answer that is almost totally "above the glass".  Both parties are looking at the same thing,  but their viewpoint, responsibility, and description are out of touch with each other.  You really have to approach it from both directions and translate for both viewpoints.  Only then will you start speaking in a language you both understand and getting results you both need.  This is NOT trivial, but it is WORTH IT.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Visio does BPM modelling. 

I guess it depends on what you wanted to do?  If you were something that would allow you to automate some part of developing prototypes or whatever, then I doubt that Visio would be really helpful there.  If that's what you're after then there are quite a few languages and applications that will perform that service for you.  How good they are, I don't know. 

I thought that I'd reply, so that you know that people are listening!

Thanks,

Martin Platt.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Take allok on the WF - Windows workflow foundation , Also anew open source project nServiceBus .

Hope this help...

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Wasim, it depends on what is your technology stack for BPM is going to be.  There are pure play BPM vendors like Global 360, Courion, etc., some ECM based BPM vendors like FileNET, Documentum, etc., EAI based BPM vendors like webMethods, TIBCO, etc.,

If you are on Microsoft .NET shop and not plan on buying additional tools, probably mixing WF and BizTalk or OpenBPEL can help you doing some of those.  Visio is only for diagram purpose but you want to build the process maps that is pluggable to the BPMS fabric...

www.BPMInstitute.org is a dedicated BPM site for quite a lot of valuable information on BPM.  www.BRSilver.com is also a good place.

Hope the information helps.

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Visio is not a process modeling tool.  It is a drawing tool.  Nice to look at, but hard for a computer to read (or a database to store the info.)

Casewise Corporate Modeler is a strong modeling tool for process, data, location, application, technology, and organization.  It is helpful for extracting and documenting what business users explain, plus it is a relational database.  That means objects are reusable and when you change\update the name of an object, you do it in a single place, not on every drawing.  You can also run reports that show the relationship of multiple objects.

Something called BPMN is used to notate business process models, but you need to use BPEL to execute the business process language.  You almost need to be a business analyst to extract and record the info you need to use BPEL.  Corporate Modeler has BPMN extensions, but you need BPEL and another app to make it run.

The pure play BPMS vendors have pretty good process modeling tools.  If they don't the decision makers won't choose them.

This area of discussion is one of the most interesting around because if you ask a technology person the question, you get an answer that is almost totally perceived from "underneath the glass" of business process.  Business people on the other hand give you an answer that is almost totally "above the glass".  Both parties are looking at the same thing,  but their viewpoint, responsibility, and description are out of touch with each other.  You really have to approach it from both directions and translate for both viewpoints.  Only then will you start speaking in a language you both understand and getting results you both need.  This is NOT trivial, but it is WORTH IT.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Visio is great for simple modelling. Most big companies and enterprises use modelling tools that have more complex functionality that is required in real-life scenarios.

Modelling vendors that use a Microsoft platform are: Casewise, PNMsoft, QPR,

Non Microsoft-platform vendors are: Telelogic and IDS-Scheer

All of them have good modelling tools and they have all embraced BPM best practices.

I'd advise contacting one of them. They always have a consultant available that can help you with best practices and methodology.

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:53 PM