LINQ is no longer being updated / being phased out?? RRS feed

• Question

• User-734459410 posted

I saw in a Lynda training video a while back that the instructor had mentioned (and this was maybe 3 years ago) that Microsoft was not really going to continue to "support" (or improve/update I guess) LINQ as they want people to sort of move to E-F instead?

Either way, is it true that LINQ is starting to be phased out in favor of newer technologies (as I guess LINQ has been around for the past 5-10 years ?)  I never really bought onto the LINQ syntax, as I'm more used to actual SQL syntax so it was confusing for me to pick up, even though it's just the order of the wording/syntax that's different, but reads almost the same as regular SQL.

Friday, January 12, 2018 7:12 AM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

You  are going to need to show some proof here that Linq is being depreciated. EF is just an ORM no more or no less, like several other ORM(s) on the market that use Linq and are Linq providers.

There are  many forms of Linq providers like Lnq-2-objects, Linq-2-Entities, Linq-2-datatables, Linq-2-XML, Linq-2-Excel and many other Linq providers. One can even use Linq in JavaScript that has Linq pl;ugins.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charlie/2008/02/28/link-to-everything-a-list-of-linq-providers/

A developer can write a Linq provider of his or herself. own.

http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/tutorial/LINQ-Learning-Guide-LINQ-Providers

I am skeptical about Linq being depreciated.

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:59 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Hi,

Seems there is a bit of confusion. EF is not a replacement for Linq. They work together. Linq is about bringing querying capabilites into C# (not only against a db but against all kind of sources). EF is about exposing db data so that they can be queried using Linq.

I believe you likely saw a video about "Linq to SQL" (uses a DataContext). It was a way to query SQL Server databases only and has been replaced since then by "Linq to EF" (that uses a DbContext).

About the syntax a key point is to realize that you are writing C# code rather than SQL. Linq comes also as specialized querying language that "looks" like SQL but you are really writing C# code which is then translated to SQL (you'll likely saw that depending on what you are doing it can't be translated).

Friday, January 12, 2018 9:23 AM
  • User-734459410 posted

I'll have to go back and look again as the instructor may have been talking about Linq to EF or Link to Entities and perhaps I just misheard him...

Saturday, January 13, 2018 3:22 AM
  • User1120430333 posted

I'll have to go back and look again as the instructor may have been talking about Linq to EF or Link to Entities and perhaps I just misheard him...

other vendors use Linq-2-Entites, like in the example tutorial.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/using-crystal-report-with-asp-net-mvc-5/

Linq-2-SQL is the only Linq solution that I have seen discussed as possible depreciation because of EF,  which is like several years ago. When I see it, I'll believe it. :)

Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:05 AM
  • User753101303 posted

Without even taking into account that a new version of Linq to EF made it to the new NET Core platform.

Finally from a feature point of view you would need a replacement first unless the meaning is that it is quite mature and won't evolve much such as file access which is well established, doesn't change anymore but won't go away.

Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:04 AM
  • User-734459410 posted

Sorry, he was referring to Linq-to-SQL (this was from a Lynda Course: Up & Running with ASP.NET with Michael Sullivan, Chapter 1, Video 1 I think if I remember correctly).  He was stating (at the time of the course was made) that the shift from Linq to SQL to ADO.NET E-F, which I guess doesn't mean it's not being supported necessarily.  Just that a newer, updated technology is being adopted in place of it.

I haven't really kept up with the history of Linq, or the roadmap of where it's going.. .I was just concerned as i was looking up how to do some things with databases and ASP.NET, and remembered (although ,not correctly) his comments on Linq., as it was a new project I was working on, so I didn't really want to use an out-of-date technology, or a technology that wouldn't be supported in the future (that's what started this I guess).

I'm pretty sure that MS will leave Linq-to-SQL available for legacy applications, but won't continue active development on it.  but again, I haven't looked at the history or the future roadmap for the Linq technology.

Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:37 PM
  • User-832373396 posted

Hi cbassett,

o I didn't really want to use an out-of-date technology,

As far as I know, at least, LINQ, it is recommended until now.

As we know, EF, EF Core( .net core, the newest technology in .net web platform), LINQ is ubiquitous in official documents;

and in my opinion, Linq is more convenient than SQL statement, after I know Linq, I almost give up Traditional SQL statement to me, so I don't think Linq will be phased out,on the contrary, I think it is the future that it saves my code and make sure my code right.

With regards, Angelina Jolie

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:15 AM