Migrating application from Windows 7 to Windows 8 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

My Application is currently running with Windows 7.

Is there any documentation available in microsoft site for developers to safely migrate the applications from Windows xp to Windows 8 or from windows 7 to windows 8 OS?

Can you please let me know the impact of porting/migrating my application from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

Regards,

Dayakar

• Changed type Jesse Jiang Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:45 AM

All replies

• My Application is currently running with Windows 7.

Is there any documentation available in microsoft site for developers to safely migrate the applications from Windows xp to Windows 8 or from windows 7 to windows 8 OS?

Can you please let me know the impact of porting/migrating my application from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

Why do you think you need to port it? If it doesn't do anything
    undocumented it should just work under Windows 8.

Dave

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:53 PM
  • FRom what I tested on a Windows 8 RTM System set up a VM there are not big differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8. There are no big changes done that are important for "traditional applications" (native and managed) in Windows 8.

The "incompatibilities" I found out in one of my projects were also self made. The code that covers the real functionality did not have any complatibility problems. Only the parts of the code that were responsible for the restrictions to particular systems had bugs in my case.

• Edited by Bordon Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

Your code "as is" should run on Windows 8 "desktop" mode.

Sebastian Sajaroff Senior DBA Pharmacies Jean Coutu

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to change this thread type as discussion, because I think there may be no exact answer for this question.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 27, 2012 2:49 AM