none
Inheritance and Variable Field names RRS feed

• Question

• My apologies if this is is not the correct forum for the following.

I am just startimg my first major project. Design environment is vs 2008 and sql server 2000.

The purpose of the project is a garment specification system to replace hundreds of spreadsheets held for each individual style.

Each spreadsheet contains header information such as styleno, range,season etc.

A grid matrix holds the detail level.

Columns are sizes eg XS S M L XL

Rows Are measurements, Chest, Armhole,Pocket width etc

The data is size data 48, 51 etc

My initial thought to model this was inheritance and have a single table with garment type being the differentiator.

The detail record key would be style/size

I have found a vertical grid component that lays out the data the way that I want.

The problem I have is the row fieldnames. Ideally there should be a second field that I can append to the fieldname.

For instance, the default template may contain chest but that may be amended to chest(3 cm below) or chest 3 cm above. In effect I think I am talking about variable field names.

Each row would also have a tolerance +/-

I dont want to have users accessing the table structure and the only thought I had was an additional table mapped to the style/Fieldname holding additional text and showing the original fieldname and original text in the form.

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:27 PM

Answers

• It may seem counterintuative but I'd start with your database schema. The reason I say that is it will influence your object model. Again I know that sounds wrong but in my experience with retail systems you really want to ensure you have the optimal data schema and then see what object model make sense for you.

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi there, before suggesting a solution, is this going to interact with another system, e.g. Retek?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:05 PM
  •  

Thanks for your response.

This would purely be standalone in sql server 2000.

From an application scenario it would be basically a data input into sql server with the abilty of printing hard copies of the forms and any reports that are necessary.

Cheers

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:54 AM
  • It may seem counterintuative but I'd start with your database schema. The reason I say that is it will influence your object model. Again I know that sounds wrong but in my experience with retail systems you really want to ensure you have the optimal data schema and then see what object model make sense for you.

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:52 PM
  • I couldnt agree more. It looks as if I am going to have multiple tables for this design which probably means I will just shelf my original thoughts.

Thanks for your assistance.

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:21 AM