none
Auto Scheduled Start Date RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems getting the right, calculated start date. All new tasks start at 19-12-13. However, the project start date is 26-6-13. If I enter a SS dependency with a task that starts for example on 16-8-13, the start date still doesn't change. The advanced tab says there is no deadline and the constraint type is "ASAP".

What am I doing wrong?

Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:46 PM

All replies

• Haantjedevoorste,

First of all, which version of Project are you using?

Second, what says that all new tasks start on Dec 19? If the Project start date is June 26th, then all new tasks will start on that date unless they are linked to another task, unless a resource (calendar) is defining the task schedule.

Take a look at File/Options/Schedule group. Is calculation set for auto or manual (i.e. "on" or "off")? It should be "on".

John

Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:27 PM
  • John,

Thanks. I am using 2010 (standalone). I do not see any Resource Calendar restrictions (Standard Calendar and not changed) and the calculation is on. Just when I insert a new task and put a duration in, the start date is set automatically
    Friday, August 16, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Haantjedevoorste,

Wow, that's some sign-in name you have.

Okay, so what is the start date that is set automatically? As I said, if no constraints or links determine the start date of a task, it will start on the Project Start Date. Unfortunately some users make the mistake of manually entering a start date and that sets a start-no-earlier-than constraint. Is that how you inserted the new task?

And you never answered my question about why all new tasks should start on Dec 19th if the Project start date is June 26th.

John

Friday, August 16, 2013 3:14 PM
  • John,

Hard to translate my sign-in name. You may call me Hans :-) Too long a story :-(

I do insert a new task by using the Insert new Task button. So no manual input, defining the start date. I tried to say that I expected a start date that equals the project start date, but unexpectedly it starts every time at Dec 19. So Dec 19 is not a start date I wish, it is a date I can not change by defining a predecessor that ends much earlier than Dec 19. The start date of Dec 19 is contradictory to my expectations.

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:31 PM
  • Hans,

Okay, now I understand. I also know what is going on. Go to File/Options/Schedule group. Under the "Scheduling options for this project" subgroup what is the setting for "Auto tasks scheduled on"? I'll bet it is set for "current date". Change that setting to the "Project start date" and your problem will be solved.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi all,

To solve a non-project mystery, Haantje-de-voorste can be translated as bell-wether or ringleader or (got this from a dictionary) cock of the walk.

Greetings,

Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Correct Jan, because my family name is Haan :-)

Hi John,

I went to FIle/Options/Schedule. The "Auto scheduled tasks scheduled on" is already set at "Project Start Date" :-( New task still starts on Dec 19.

Kind regards

Hans

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Hans,

Okay, can you send me your file? I'd like to look at it (assuming it's not too large). If it is a large file, can you create a small test file that demonstrates the behavior? My address is below, I will ask some questions. If you send a file, please be sure to zip it.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Hi Hans --

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Can you post a screenshot of the relevant section of your project? Please make sure that the screenshot includes the task ID, Indicators, Name, Start, Finish, Duration, and % Complete columns, and also include the section of the Gantt Chart that shows the relevant shapes.

Thanks!

-- tz

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:34 PM