none
Windows 8 and Expression Web 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Scott sent me this link, which I have tried many times.  Below this link, is my problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/fe637166-34b6-45fb-
    bfcb-dc0646b66c84/expressions-web-4-and-windows-8-problems. See
    Congregatio's reply on Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:05 AM
    ======================
    I cannot get EW 4 to run reliably on a new Dell and Windows 8 all of the time. I have actually worked on an open and responsive MS EW4 on this new computer and then another day after restaring, it will not open and I have this annoying 'This AP will not work on this computer'.   EW 4 seems to work on this computer when it wants to.  I have run this program in successive computers XP and a laptop running Windows 7.

Whilst I appreciate that EW4  is not supported, money paid for programs FP2 to 3 and then EW1 up to EW3 for the program should surely have some acknowledgement from Microsoft?   I wrote to the Expression Web mailing list run by Pat Geary. Scott answered as did many and so I followed Congregatio's reply and advice.

I choose EW 4 from the lists of programs, and ran through the test which I
    have done several times over a few days and managed to get it to work
    yesterday afternoon. [my post Mon 19/08/2013 18:20 London time]

This time [several tries] it didn't work. Now I noticed that EW4 Preview
    was shown in the list of programs, so I tried that - ha! That _is_ compatible!! So I am here again
    with this most annoying and irritating problem.  

It really is not on for MS to build such as Windows 8 that is absolutely not compatible with many of its own programs and not thoroughly tested. I bought a reliable computer and because of Wndows 8 it is causing me headaches instead of joy! Pretty disgusted with Microsoft.

CassieRae2

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:56 AM

All replies

• No idea whether this will solve the problem but try running EW as an administrator. (right-click - Run as Administrator).

Are you launching EW from the Win 8 menu or from the desktop?

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:09 AM
  •  Thanks Ian, I have run as Administrator and launching from a desktop shortcut.  I downloaded EW4 as an upgrade to EW 3 - 3 works BTW.  Couldn't cope withour the Start menu so downloaded Shell. 

CassieRae2

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:14 AM
  • "It really is not on for MS to build such as Windows 8 that is absolutely not compatible with many of its own programs and not thoroughly tested."

Reality check: Just because you--and very, very few others--have a problem with running EW, does not mean that MS has built a flawed operating system. That's a leap of logic that is unsupported by the evidence. If it were an OS problem, everyone would be experiencing it. But clearly they are not.

For all we know, it could be a hardware/third-party driver problem on your computer (as has happened in the past).

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:17 PM
  • No problems with Win 8 and EW 4 (free version) on any of our computers. We are using Start8 as a start menu replacement along with Modern Mix to run any Windows 8 program/app in a normal window instead of Win 8 mode.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Friday, August 30, 2013 5:01 PM