none
Why does Microsoft R Open stop supporting MacOS from Version 3.5.2 on

Question

• Just read in another thread that Microsoft R Open 3.5.2 is about to be released but it states there that the support for MacOS will be dropped... Could anybody please tell us MacOS users of Microsoft R Open why that decision was made?

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 11:31 AM

All replies

• Just read in another thread that Microsoft R Open 3.5.2 is about to be released but it states there that the support for MacOS will be dropped... Could anybody please tell us MacOS users of Microsoft R Open why that decision was made?

Don't feel bad, appears Microsoft is dropping all support for R.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 7:36 PM
  • Please refer to the other threads where I explained to you that we are not dropping support for R.
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:50 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for answering the secondary question.

Are you able to answer the main one:Could anybody please tell us MacOS users of Microsoft R Open why that decision was made?

More to the point, what can we do about it?  I have a room full of computational finance students at Bond University with Macs for whom R is their first exposure to programming, three times a year, so I'm not going to ask them to compile it.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Nick,

there have been various reaons for this. here are some indicators:

- limited adoption.

- compatibility with HomeBrew was questionable.

- no RevoScaleR / RevoScalePy for Mac

Just so we're clear: removing the support for MacOs does not mean you cannot run it (albeit with more effort: compile it from scratch). Also I would love to see the community huddle together and re-introduce the Mac support since MRO is open-source.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 4:09 PM
    Owner
  • The least painful way seems to be Rocker container (https://www.rocker-project.org/). All you need to to is to install Docker on your mac. It will give you R, RStudio, tidyverse, etc. right away with no extra setup.

I actually use another solution which is Nix functional package manager (https://nixos.org/nix/, https://nixos.org/nix/manual/#ch-supported-platforms). Nix knows about all the dependencies (including cross-language ones) so if an R package needs some c++ shared library or a java package Nix will take care of that. I use Nix on all my computers (Linux and Mac) so I can just copy the Nix configuration and have an identical environment with no extra effort. The downside is there is a learning curve. Unlike MRO, R provided by Nix will not have MKL by default (they compile it with OpenBLAS which is also fast. MKL is available in the Nix packages universe.) but the R packages will be taken from MRAN for some fixed date (configurable).

Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification. If there won't be an installer for Mac OS any more, maybe provide a guide for building from the source? 
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:31 PM
  • We will look into it, thanks for the suggestion.
    Friday, May 3, 2019 12:04 AM
    Owner
  • Also I would love to see the community huddle together and re-introduce the Mac support since MRO is open-source.

Jeroen, where is current MRO development being done?

From the public commit history it does not appear to be done on  https://github.com/Microsoft/microsoft-r-open

• Edited by kmlee999 Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:28 PM
    Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:27 PM
  • Thanks to everyone so far for answering :-)

Building MRO from source would be an option... but is it actually necessary to build everything from source?

Or is there a possibility to -- say -- install "normal" CRAN R and just add the additional components such as the fast maths libraries (my main motivation for MRO over CRAN R) separately? If I understood it right, MRO is 100% CRAN R plus some added features... so theretically that should be a way, too, or am I too naive seeing it that way?

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:30 AM