none
Problem with ildasm RRS feed

• Question

• When I run ildasm.exe I repetedly receive the help text.  The command line I use is correct:  Ildasm myApp.exe   I've tried on many instances to make this work.  I'm using the 64-bit console and 64-bit version of ildasm.exe.  I'm compiling in debug mode and for any CPU.  Any ideas get a big thank you.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:28 AM

Answers

• So when you run ildasm.exe, then it only prints help to the console and no graphical UI? That's strange.
    Where is your ildasm.exe on your disk? It should be in:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\ildasm.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin\ildasm.exe

As a workaround, you can use "ildasm.exe your.dll /out=output.il". You will get all the IL from the assembly into the file ... you will have to browse it manually in text form.

BTW: .NET Reflector has a free version: http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/, the 14-day trial is only for Pro features.

-Karel

• Marked as answer by eryang Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:25 AM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi PeregrineFalcon,

Except the way Karel methioned,

• Have you ever tried to reinstall the SDK of Microsoft you are using?
    • Did you run the cmd as administrator?
    • Are you using 64-bit operating system?
    • Are you sure your system path is correct?
    • What will happen, if you use the command "ildasm.exe your.dll /out=output.il"?

Double check these, maybe you will get an approach.

Good luck with your ildasm.exe and have a nice day!

Hope this helpful to you! If you have any further quetions, please feel free to let me know.
    Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:44 AM

All replies

• What kind of help text do you recieve? Try it on a small HelloWorld.exe, does it do the same? Did you try Reflector or some other tool?

-Karel

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:00 AM
  • I have tried it on various sized console applications.  The help text I receive is the same when I execute the program with a myapp.exe  or /?  or with no parameters.  Each way gives the same result.  I'm having a difficult time trying to track down an answer to this.  I have used a *.cmd file in a specific c:\cmd subdirectory I added to the path--then ildasm would execute from anywhere.  I added %1 %2 ... after the ...path\ildasm.exe when using none would not suffice.  I still got the same results.

I have run Ildasm from it's native subdirectory including it's entire path (including quotation marks) but still have the same result.  The examples in the book I'm studying are all console apps however the author often uses ildasm in example situations.  The only thing I can think of that I may not have tried is adding the *.exe extension to the ildasm executable, which would defy all backward compatibility as far as I know.

I downloaded reflector and it worked fine while the registration was valid.  I left a note this evening for the .Net Reflector folks asking whether there really is a "free" version of the software.  I couldn't find anything that was better than having a 14-day trial of the Pro version.  Ildasm has defied all I've tried (I'm a poetic geek).

Thanks,  Mike

• Edited by PeregrineFalcon Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:13 AM Ildasm won't run GUI
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:06 AM
  • So when you run ildasm.exe, then it only prints help to the console and no graphical UI? That's strange.
    Where is your ildasm.exe on your disk? It should be in:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\ildasm.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bin\ildasm.exe

As a workaround, you can use "ildasm.exe your.dll /out=output.il". You will get all the IL from the assembly into the file ... you will have to browse it manually in text form.

BTW: .NET Reflector has a free version: http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/, the 14-day trial is only for Pro features.

-Karel

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Hi PeregrineFalcon,

Except the way Karel methioned,

• Have you ever tried to reinstall the SDK of Microsoft you are using?
    • Did you run the cmd as administrator?
    • Are you using 64-bit operating system?
    • Are you sure your system path is correct?
    • What will happen, if you use the command "ildasm.exe your.dll /out=output.il"?

Double check these, maybe you will get an approach.

Good luck with your ildasm.exe and have a nice day!

Hope this helpful to you! If you have any further quetions, please feel free to let me know.
    Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Bset Regards,
    Tracy
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi PeregrineFalcon,

It seems you got the right answer, so I marked it.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to unmark it and we will discuss this issue again.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:26 AM