none
How to set up battery maintenance in Windows 7 just like in the XP? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking in the Windows 7 for the similar function of Battery Maintenance as in XP's power options. It seems left out of 7. It is a good function enable me to save the lifespan of the battery and to save the battery for use when electricity is not available. With the charging threshold set at 2%, I can use the electricity as much as possible with the laptop hooked up without worrying about the repeated charging-discharging of the battery. With 7, it seems charging all the time no matter if you want it to charge. Could anybody advise on how to fix it?

Saturday, October 2, 2010 1:23 AM

All replies

• How to Manage Windows 7 Power Settings

Hit the Start Button and select Control Panel in the second, shaded column on the right.

Windows 7 - Start

Now select All Control Panel Items ...

Windows 7 - Control Panel

...and make your way down to Power Options and click. (Alternately, select System and Security , then Power Options .)

Windows 7 Control Panel - Power Options

After clicking on the Power Options icon, you're asked to Select a Power Plan .

Windows 7 - Power Settings

There are two options that are immediately available: Balanced (the default) and Power saver . Balanced turns off the display after 10 minutes of inactivity and puts your computer into sleep mode after 30 minutes. Power saver halves those times to 5 minutes and 15 minutes respectively.

More proof that Microsoft is making you work at disabling power management options, users will have to open Show additional plans to display a third, High performance profile that shuts off the display after 15 minutes but never enters sleep mode.

Apart from that, you can create your own custom power plan by selecting the link on the left or editing an existing plan and tweaking the advanced settings to your liking, including whether to prompt for a password when your computer wakes and assign a power setting (like sleep or shutdown) to the power button.

Windows 7 - Advanced Power Settings

For me, Balanced works well .

Enjoy!

Regards

Saturday, October 2, 2010 2:06 AM