Installation Error RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I tried to install sharepoint 3.0 in win 2k3 sp1 with all Req hardware.While installing the setup files are extracted properly.But when i run the configuration wizard,i encounter an error,

Failed To Start database service MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE.Repair this product by selecting it from theAdd/RemovePrograms menu.

At this particular step the installation terminates....

I have tried by 1.Uninstalling all related programs and reinstalling

2. repairing the sharepoint  package.

3.Even using regedit to remove the installation files of MSSQl .....

Guys plz provide me a solution coz i got fiddled with this installation.....Suggest me what i have to do . i even tried with command line utilities.I have successfully installed and worked in sharepoint 2.0 also.......

help me out...........................

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:09 PM CAPs removed from subject
    Monday, January 22, 2007 1:56 PM

Answers

•  

WSS 3.0 use Windows Internal Database if you do typical installation.

Uninstall WSS V3 does not uninstall Windows Internal Database.

Please use followinf steps to remove the Windows Internal Database and then try to reinstall WSS V3.

For 32 bit:

msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe

in general:

Start Registry Editor, and then locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

• In the left pane, click each GUID. For each GUID that you click, look for a display name in the right pane that matches “Microsoft SQL 2005 embedded Edition…”. When you see a display name that matches the name, copy the value of the Key named “UninstallString”
    • Open a Command-Window (Start->run->cmd)
    • Paste the Copied string.
    • Append “ CALLERID=OCSETUP.EXE” the the end of the pasted text
    • Reboot.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you already have a solution for this issue? I have the same problem...

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:26 PM
  • This seems to be a pure sharepoint setup issue. Let me move the thread to Sharepoint Setup area. Hopefully someone there can help you.
    Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  

Hi Robert Hanzl

Can U tell me in which way do u install( basic or advanced)...Also do u tried installation in server farm.????

If U provide any info., i hope i'll help u out

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:29 AM
  • I installed a windows 2003 server, .net 3.0 and started the basic installation of sharepoint services 3.0.

I think the problem is the installation of the database module. Shouldn't there be the MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE service installed? I can't find it in the windows services.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:39 AM
  •  

hi

The probs is exactly with the internal database only. The possible error may b with corruption with the exe file or the the user may not have any credentials to access internal db. Have u tried uninstalling MSSQL SSEE using regedit.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:21 AM
  • I also tried to install Sharepoint Portal Server 2007 and ran into the same error.

Only when I installed SQL Server 2k first and then installed a new server farm it worked. So it must have something to do with the internal database.

Was anybody able to install sharepoint services 3.0?

Robert 

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I have tried many scenarios. Uninstalling, installing SQL 2005 express,...

But when I installed it the first time, there was no sql server installed. So I think there must be something wrong within the setup procedure.

Robert

Thursday, January 25, 2007 11:25 AM
  • I've been having the same issue. I'm installing .net 3.0, Sharepoint 3.0 (Basic/Standalone) and I keep getting "Failed to start database service MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE....". Infact before the install completes I get an error message and I have to restart the install and select repair.

I haven't installed SQL Express yet but according to all the documentation its not needed.

If anyone found the solution please let us know.

Thank you,

Mike

Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:26 PM
  • I have the exact same issue with the installation error.

Basic install Sharepoint 3.0 Services

- MS Windows Server 2003 R2 Ent x64 Ed SP1

- Already have a default instance SQL 2000, named instance of SQL 2005 (all standard eds) on the server

Friday, January 26, 2007 12:24 PM
  • I have been fighting with the same issue.  I found the following excerpt from the Microsoft TechNet article "Install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a stand-alone computer"    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/WSS/en/library/6181fe5b-90ca-40cf-aade-abd59cf3c9071033.mspx?mfr=true

Note:

If you uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, and then later install on the same computer, the Setup program could fail when creating the configuration database causing the entire installation process to fail. You can prevent this failure by either deleting all the existing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 databases on the computer or by creating a new configuration database. You can create a new configuration database by running the following command:

psconfig -cmd configdb -create -database <uniquename>

Hopefully this helps

Saturday, January 27, 2007 5:55 PM
  •  

Hi,

I tried and got frustrated by tring psconfig and deleting all internal databases.........Till i am in a mess......I cant install....

I can do installation in advanced(server farm) only.....

Monday, January 29, 2007 4:45 AM
  •  

Hi

i am totally messed up with install and uninstall process ond got damn with wss3.0 standalone installation.

Kindly help me out..If i have to move to other third party blogs,kindly provide me the links...............

Friday, February 2, 2007 6:50 AM
  • I am having the same problems anyone know of a fix yet before I pull all my hair out?
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Kindly eloborate u r installation failures..............
    Monday, February 19, 2007 12:58 PM
  • I know it's very frustrating, but why don't you guys just use a separate instance of SQL Express 2005 on the server? You have nothing to lose.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Sharepoint Services only wants to write to the Microsoft##SSEE database. Using psconfig.exe will not solve your issue and in my case it would not even connect to a SQL 2005 Express Database. So I had to download the old Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine. Use the "/extract" switch on that executable to extract all of the install files. Navigate to where you extracted them in a DOS Shell and use the command "setup.exe SAPWD="any password you want" INSTANCENAME="Microsoft##SSEE".

For some reason the installer for SharePoint is hell bent on installing to that database. People run into this problem when you uninstall/reinstall SharePoint, MSDE or SQL 2005 Express.

Now other than the constant Gatherer issues and the fact that the latest update broke the install I just I just fixed SharePoint is up and running.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

Recently I had the same problem. I also tried re-installing .NET 2.0 and 3.0 and IIS, but that didn't help me a lot. At the end  I removed the SQL Embedded Edition (SSEE). During the Sharepoint installation it installed it itself and there was no problems...
    Forgot to say - I installed Sharepoint 3.0 on a stand-alone x64 bit server (no AD).

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Vasil Vasilev
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 11:33 AM
  •  

WSS 3.0 use Windows Internal Database if you do typical installation.

Uninstall WSS V3 does not uninstall Windows Internal Database.

Please use followinf steps to remove the Windows Internal Database and then try to reinstall WSS V3.

For 32 bit:

in general:

Start Registry Editor, and then locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

• In the left pane, click each GUID. For each GUID that you click, look for a display name in the right pane that matches “Microsoft SQL 2005 embedded Edition…”. When you see a display name that matches the name, copy the value of the Key named “UninstallString”
    • Open a Command-Window (Start->run->cmd)
    • Paste the Copied string.
    • Append “ CALLERID=OCSETUP.EXE” the the end of the pasted text
    • Reboot.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:25 PM
  • I fail in the same problem. and I find this

"Issue 33: Uninstalling WSUS 3.0 does not uninstall SQL Server Embedded Edition (Windows) If WSUS 3.0 is uninstalled, SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (Windows) will not be uninstalled. If it is necessary to uninstall SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (Windows), the following commands will uninstall the application:

(on 32-bit platforms)

(on 64-bit platforms)

msiexec /x {BDD79957-5801-4A2D-B09E-852E7FA64D01} callerid=ocsetup.exe

However, the removal of the application may not remove the default .mdb and .ldb files, which will cause a subsequent WSUS 3.0 installation to fail. These files can be deleted from the %windir%\SYSMSI\SSEE directory. Note: SQL Server 2005 Embedded Edition (Windows) should not be uninstalled on Windows Server "Longhorn", since it is a shared instance with other roles."

so , I run "msiexec /x {CEB5780F-1A70-44A9-850F-DE6C4F6AA8FB} callerid=ocsetup.exe " in CMD windows.

and to uninstall WSS3.0

AND to uninstall WSS langpack.

while ALL about WSS has uninstalled.

I'm starting to install the WSS3.0 again.

at this time, It's all OK.

if you don't solve it.

welcome to contact me. http://metababy.blogspot.com

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I'm also having the same problem, but couldnot resolve it with the "psconfig" suggestion.

Has anyone found a solution?

Tony

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:58 PM
  • I uninstalled WSS 3.0, SQL Server express, and ran the script to uninstall the embedded SQL.  I want to create a config database on another server.  When I try to reinstall, I get "The Installation of this package failed."  The install log shows an error "CDetectionExceptionWin32" whatever that is.  I'm not getting any messages about drive space in the log.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Can anyone help me on this?

I have a windows 2003 server so it already has WSS 3.0 on it. However, I do not know the default sharepoint wen site and recently the computer name of the server was changed. So, the Central Administration tool is not working.

I then downloaded WSS 3.0 SP1 and uninstalled the current WSS3.0 installation and installed it again. I got an error message saying the installation can not proceed because the Central Administration web site still exists. I have no idea of where the web site is. Also, I checked IIS 6.0 folder (ie. c:\inetpid\wwwroot\) and there is no subfolder called "wss". So, what is going on?

Please help... I can be reached at edison.so2@gmail.com.

Friday, August 22, 2008 11:39 PM
  •  For me it helped as I could uninstall MSDE at least. Now I am trying to install it all again.

Thanks.

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Recently, I ran into an error when I tried to uinstall the embedded edition on a x64 2003 server, I do not remember the exact text of the error (something to the effect of you cannot install this product), so I re-launched the command prompt with Administrator account and that solved that!!
    Hewlett Packard pour l'Assistance Utilisateur Microsoft
    Monday, September 7, 2009 2:16 PM