Hardware acceleration of WPF on XP RRS feed

• Question

• Will WPF support hardware acceleration to the same degree on XP as it does on Vista? For example, I have a machine running XP with an NVidia GForce 7800 GTX card (the latest NVidia gaming card). If I upgrade the machine to Vista, would I get significantly more hardware acceleration on Vista than on XP, assuming that I have the latest drivers on both platforms?

Thanks,

Adam Smith

Monday, April 3, 2006 3:27 PM

Answers

• You definitely get hardware acceleration. That said you get a different, lesser kind of hardware acceleration than you get on Vista because Vista has an entirely new video driver model that enables sharing of the GPU. There's tons of info on this on the web if you search around, but here's a very recent post about the LDDM (longhorn display driver model) and DWM (desktop window manager) that touches on why Vista will be a much better experience for WPF apps.

HTH,
    Drew

Monday, April 3, 2006 7:42 PM

All replies

• You definitely get hardware acceleration. That said you get a different, lesser kind of hardware acceleration than you get on Vista because Vista has an entirely new video driver model that enables sharing of the GPU. There's tons of info on this on the web if you search around, but here's a very recent post about the LDDM (longhorn display driver model) and DWM (desktop window manager) that touches on why Vista will be a much better experience for WPF apps.

HTH,
    Drew

Monday, April 3, 2006 7:42 PM
  • Thanks!

Adam

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 6:13 PM