Interface Between .Net 1 and 2 RRS feed

• Question

• It seems like the answer to this question should be obvious. But I can't seem to find any sort of answer anywhere on the net. Perhaps my search skills are too poor. But if you could help point me in the right direction...

I have an existing asp.net 1.1 website.
    I have a new .net 2 dll.
    I want the existing website to use the new dll.
    What is the best way to accomplish this?

My thoughts...
    * web service?
    * remoting?
    * rewrite dll in .net 1?
    * console app that the website can execute via process.start()?

Any insight, guidance, direction, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

John DeHope.
    Monday, July 10, 2006 6:59 PM

Answers

• Your Asp.net 1.1 website can run under 2.0 (mostly) as .net 2.0 is backward compatible (mostly).

hth

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:25 PM

All replies

• Your Asp.net 1.1 website can run under 2.0 (mostly) as .net 2.0 is backward compatible (mostly).

hth

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

When migrating to .NET 2.0  I use the following approach:

1) If is possible to migrate to 2.0 the main application first (in this case your website)

2) If is a client-server environemnt you can upgrade your server components that expose the interface using webservices (as this is almost totally compatible with 1.1) then your clients that use 1.1 can use the latest functionality.

In your case I would migrate the website to 2.0 if possible (usually works), otherwise a simple webservice will help you to add the necessary interface. If you try direct remoting (like tcp) I think it will not work as you will not be able to reference the 2.0 interface from your 1.1 code.

Hope this helps

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:03 PM