none
Best Way to Use Azure Storage as File Storage

Question

• Hi!

I've got a customer with multiple sites looking for a centralised cloud storage solution.

As they already have VMs running on Azure, I'm considering Azure storage.

However, they are looking to have an easy way for all users to access the cloud storage. As they are using Win 7, we are unable to map the Azure storage as a network drive. As this access will be for many users, we also are reluctant to recommend the use of RDS for accessing the files.

Is there any easy way eg via browser that the end users are able to access the files stored in Azure?

It can be either stored in the Azure VM or just as Azure Storage.

Thank you!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

it's indeed impossible to map a Azure File Storage in Windows 7 as Win7 doesn't have SMB 3.0.

To access the files from everywhere, you'll need to look into 3rd party file sharing, or perhaps use SharePoint online. You can use eg. Citrix FileShare, backed by Azure Storage.

Floris van der Ploeg - www.florisvanderploeg.com

If my post was helpfull, remember to click the "Propose as answer" button.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:28 AM
  • One Drive for Business is the cloud storage solution MS would recommend for his scenario. Does the client have Office 365?
    • Proposed as answer by SamCoganMVP Wednesday, February 8, 2017 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Yes, I was thinking of that too. However, as client is using Gmail, I was initially reluctant to propose OneDrive in case it pushes them to move to Google Drive instead.

However, OneDrive seems like the best solution. Thank you!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:57 AM