Visual Studio vNext Broken

Question

• Hello there,

I have been trying to design a metro style app for Windows 8 however I have hit a brick wall. The XAML designer just will not work whatever I do. I have tried express as well as professional in both the normal and the reset experimental instance. The XAML designer gives me the following error,

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [2992] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IIsolationDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String assemblyCodeBase, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(FrameworkName frameworkName, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(FrameworkName frameworkName, IsolationInformation isolationInformation)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(FrameworkName targetFramework, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateDesignerViewInfo(FrameworkName targetFramework, IsolationInformation isolationInformation, IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationToken cancelToken)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass10.<CreateDesigner>b__f()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

PC refresh is really a non option due to the volume of things I've had to install to even get started developing. Thanks.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:10 AM

All replies

• I hit the same problem - I had Windows 8 installed in a Bootcamp partition - it was working perfectly until the designer started returning that error, which proved to be persistent and irrecoverable.

I tried the "Reset my PC" option and waited patiently while it wen through the reinstall process, but that didn't work (are all files not replaced?).

I tried actually reinstalling but this time the installation process hung unpacking files at 2%, so in the end I removed the partition.

I did see somebody else had this problem (I should've noted where it was reported but I was tired) and apparently was able to recover from it using the reset option (so they had more luck than I did).

Note that this doesn't only affect the graphical designer: the source view of the XAML also effectively turns into Notepad with syntax highlighting.

Whatever the cause, this is clearly a serious issue since it makes the Metro development environment permanently unusable.
    So it's once of those things you should probably know about sooner rather than later.

PS. I was using C#, I wound up here by accident but it appears the problem is not limited to the managed languages.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:39 PM
  • I am having this issue now.  I wonder if it is related to the windows update updates that the OS just installed.  I also can't open the project in Blend, as I get an "targeted unsupported framework". 

Has anyone resolved this error?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:51 PM
  • Does the designer work when you do a file new project grid application? Can you see the designer draw itself?

Also try shutting down XDesProc.exe and re-opening the xaml (this is to recycle the design process)

Vikas

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:25 PM
  • In addition to what Vikas has asked above.

Could you also clarify the following?

When you create a Bland Metro Style Application does the designer display at all? Did this scenario work at some point of time or did not work right from the start?

Can you build and run a Blank Metro Style Application after launching VS?

Thanks,

Jeetendra

Jeetendra Kukreja [MSFT]
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:55 PM
  • I don't know about the others, but my experience was that it originally worked fine and then stopped working, after which it would always fail (attempting to reload the designer didn't work, restarting VS didn't work, rebooting didn't solve the problem, and so on). I do remember the black designer surface flashing briefly on screen at one stage and then being replaced by the loading message and then the exception.

I reformatted the partition last night and reinstalled: to my chagrin (and  prompting colourful language, I confess) the designer failed immediately this time. However, after looking at the event log for errors that might hold a clue (there was something about a remote (at least it didn't look like my network) IP address rejecting a connection from TEST, and another one about a timeout waiting for a response from a service) I restarted, and this time Visual Studio opened the designer successfully.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a behavioural aspect to this - the last time I tried it (when it worked, at which point I decided to quit while I was ahead) I think there was more delay between me starting Windows and opening Visual Studio, and more delay between starting Visual Studio and opening a project which I'd created in the previous session (in which the designer had failed to load). During this time various toast messages appeared about services starting successfully (or something to that effect), but they were too quick for me to see what they actually were.

• Edited by Kevin Daly Monday, September 19, 2011 9:17 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Kevin, it would be super helpful to know your experience in response to Jeetendra's question above.

In general, we are interested in knowing if you can close VS, reopen VS, create a brand new C++ (or C#) Blank application, and build and run the application successfully, indendent of the state of the designer?

Please note that, technically, the designer uses a number of the same concepts are what your running application would. Hence, knowing the state of the machine would be super helpful (if you cannot build and run a Blank application, the designer is not going to work for you - hence we can better route your question to the right folks).

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Understood.

I'll be sure to check those things next time it happens (as mentioned earlier I think, the last time I tried it was working).

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:45 AM
  •  

I hit this problem as soon as I installed the full version of Visual Studio from MSDN. Here's what I've done so far:

The designer initially worked fine with the Express edition.

I then installed the full version using the web installer.

After the install, the designers in both the full and Express editions displayed the error above and XAML intellisense stopped functioning (in all languages).

I then refreshed the PC which uninstalled the full version of Visual Studio.

XAML designer is now in working order, but I don't want to risk re-installing the full version at this point.

EDIT: Welp, that didn't last long.  I'm now getting the error in express.  I can see in the event log that XDesProc.exe is crashing every time the designer fails.  I really hope somebody figures this out.

• Edited by JETaylor Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:34 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

We will appreciate if you can help us investigate this issue. Can you please send us following info:

1. If you create a new Windows Metro application (C++ / C#), does designer show-up?

2. Are you able to run your application? Does F5 work?

3. Can you please send us the exception details from Event viewer? I am including instructions for the same.

You can send details directly to me at navits at microsoft dot com and we will investigate this on priority.

Event Viewer
    Start Event Viewer and navigate to the Windows Logs ->Application.  Filter the log by errors.  Each crash has two entries:  One for the application that crashed, and another from the .NET Runtime. It would be useful it you can send exception details from both entries.

Thanks,

Navit Saxena

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Details sent!
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Any updates?
    Friday, September 30, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Taylor, we are still working on it. I will try to share some details this week.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I'm getting this same error.  Talk about a showstopper.  Prevents any win8 designer based development.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:06 PM
  • I am having the same problem. It really is annoying - I'm not good at XAML, learning from this broken editor is almost crippling for me. All of the work has to be in the Code editor, because the designer looks like this:

The XAML text editor is also not showing any of the advanced features it shows in VS 2010 - for example, it does not display intellisense, and it does not display suggestions. Also, when I paste text into the XAML editor it freezes for a second and then displays this message:

It does paste correctly, but it's almost easier to type it in for the most part so that it doesn't show this every time.

Does anybody have an update as to why this problem occurs, or a temporary fix so that I don't have to worry about this?

Thanks,

Brandon

Thanks for your help!
    Monday, October 24, 2011 2:58 PM
  • @Aboveyou00

I appreciate your persistence. Would you mind submitting feedback with the errors? They are not coming thru in the forum. email me if you have any problems using the bug reporting links below.

Thanks,

-David

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:21 PM
  • In my case I found the root cause for this problem. The gama was off on my display, the black levels were way too high so I ran the Display Calibration Wizard in the Advanced settings for Display Properties. The Gama issue was fixed however after running the I got the above error and it broke Visual Studio preview and Intellisense.

Note: Refresh you're PC without effecting files did not fix the issue. I didn't try the full refresh. I did several clean Windows installs to verify this was the cause. Every time after running Display Calibration it would break even if no adjustments were made. I also tried removing the display profile and this would not fix the issue.

Here was the workaround I came up with.

1. Backup your projects and files if they are stored in the current users profile.
    2. Create a new local user with admin right in control panel.
    3. Login with the new local users account you just created.
    4. Go into Visual Studio while logged in with the new account and new create a New Metro project. Verify that preview and Intellisense works.
    5. If step 5 was a success then delete your original user profile and reboot.
    6. Recreate the original user account and connect to Live.
    7. Restore you're projects and folders.
    8. Don't run Display Calibration Wizard.

Mike

• Edited by MikeEby Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Tintin- Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:44 AM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Awesome find Mike! I repro'd it immediately.

Would you want to post this as a bug thru our connect site? Let me know if you would rather I enter it on your behalf. We definitely need to get this addressed.

Thanks,

-David

Bug filing template:

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:29 AM
  • David feel free to enter it.

Thanks!

Mike

Monday, November 07, 2011 3:26 AM
  • Bug entered. Thanks again Mike! If the Expression team finds a way to mitigate this problem in the //build/ release, I'll make sure it is posted here.

-David

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:47 AM
  • In my case I found the root cause for this problem. The gama was off on my display, the black levels were way too high so I ran the Display Calibration Wizard in the Advanced settings for Display Properties. The Gama issue was fixed however after running the I got the above error and it broke Visual Studio preview and Intellisense.

Note: Refresh you're PC without effecting files did not fix the issue. I didn't try the full refresh. I did several clean Windows installs to verify this was the cause. Every time after running Display Calibration it would break even if no adjustments were made. I also tried removing the display profile and this would not fix the issue.

Here was the workaround I came up with.

1. Backup your projects and files if they are stored in the current users profile.
    2. Create a new local user with admin right in control panel.
    3. Login with the new local users account you just created.
    4. Go into Visual Studio while logged in with the new account and new create a New Metro project. Verify that preview and Intellisense works.
    5. If step 5 was a success then delete your original user profile and reboot.
    6. Recreate the original user account and connect to Live.
    7. Restore you're projects and folders.
    8. Don't run Display Calibration Wizard.

Mike

Me too, I adjust the display option (make everything bigger) from control panel, and the designer view from VS failed with the same error.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:21 AM
  • I changed the default font size to make it more similar to Windows 7 and also got this error. Event Viewer shows:

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
    Stack:
       at MS.Utility.EventTrace.EasyTraceEvent(Keyword, Event)
       at System.Windows.Application..ctor()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationProcess.InitializeApplication()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationProcess+DesignProcessViewProvider+<>c__DisplayClass8.<applicationView_Activated>b__7()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I've tried creating a new user and exporting it's current user "desktop" branch, deleting mine and importing the new one to get these settings back (indeed, fonts are now 120% again etc). but still throws this exception.

It seems something in the Expression DesignProcessViewProvider is not good at dealing with UI personalization.

[)amien

Friday, December 23, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Had this happen in Windows 8 Dev Preview after adjusting display color.

No way to revert it without losing the user profile?

First in technology, last in life.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:50 AM

• Follow the steps at:  
    http://blendinsider.com/xaml/known-issue-xaml-designer-in-visual-studio-11-beta-crashes-on-launch-2012-03-07/

This fixed it for me

I ran the commands listed in the blog and though they succeeded I still can't get the designer working (anything to do with XAML really).

I was getting a "[1528] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!".  After I ran the commands listed in the blog entry, the XAML editor stopped crashing before it even loaded.  Now though, it just locks up totally when I try to drag a control onto the designer (Visual Studio becomes unresponsive for around 30-60 seconds (I haven't timed it exactly) and then I'll get either an unhandled exception message on the editor or "Element not found. (Exception from HRSULT: 0x8002802B (TYPE_E_ELEMENTNOTFOUND)).

I get this whether I try to drag any control onto the XAML designer.  When I manually try to type the XAML I get no Intellisense which makes things very difficult.  Also, when I manually type XAML it works sometimes, and sometimes it hangs the IDE (namingly when I mistype my XAML and then try to build). 

Finally, when I manually type correct XAML on the first shot (the editor doesn't freeze) but when I compile I get a "Error:  DEP0600:  The following unexpected error occured during deployment:  Illegal characters in path"

The designer itself is unusable at this point for me.  I'm going to try to figure out some of these issues and I'll post back if I figure out anything.  On the upside (depending on how you look at it), the WinForms editor works flawlessly. :) Apologies if my post seems incoherint, I'm very tired this has made my brain fuzzy.   :)

Additional edit:  This is with the Visual Basic project type.  I just tried it with a C# project type and I could draw the button on the form (however, after the first build/run of the app VS locked up with a System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [3664] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!).

• Edited by bpell Monday, April 02, 2012 12:48 AM
    Monday, April 02, 2012 12:32 AM
    1. Shut down all running instances of Visual Studio.
    2. Launch a command prompt as an Administrator.
    3. Type the following in sequence:
      1. pushd %VS110COMNTOOLS%
      2. icacls ..\IDE /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      3. icacls ..\IDE /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
      4. icacls ..\IDE\PrivateAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      5. icacls ..\IDE\PrivateAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
      6. icacls ..\IDE\PublicAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      7. icacls ..\IDE\PublicAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
    4. Restart Visual Studio and try your scenario again.
    Monday, April 02, 2012 10:20 AM
    1. Shut down all running instances of Visual Studio.
    2. Launch a command prompt as an Administrator.
    3. Type the following in sequence:
      1. pushd %VS110COMNTOOLS%
      2. icacls ..\IDE /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      3. icacls ..\IDE /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
      4. icacls ..\IDE\PrivateAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      5. icacls ..\IDE\PrivateAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
      6. icacls ..\IDE\PublicAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(OI)(F)
      7. icacls ..\IDE\PublicAssemblies /grant *S-1-15-2-1:(CI)(F)
    4. Restart Visual Studio and try your scenario again.

I did this the same results (I pasted them into a batch file and ran it from the command prompt).  I didn't receive any error messages on the prompt but the behavior was the same (I also made sure the XDesProc.exe wasn't hanging in the background).

Let me do a clean reboot and run these again before I even open Visual Studio just to be sure.

Monday, April 02, 2012 1:33 PM
  • I ran these under a clean boot before starting vNext and I have the same results.  I should note, I'm running a VM in VirtualBox. 
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 12:22 AM
  • I was having this issue for a week now and it almost drove me crazy. Tried every suggestion I found on web - no help. Then I noticed a file in root of my c: drive named "Program". Strange. I removed it and this fixed the designer issue for me. This file seems to be related to OpenGL (a plain text log). Does anyone know what is it and how it got there?
    • Proposed as answer by Mike de Klerk Friday, September 27, 2013 1:20 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2012 11:40 AM
  • I was having this issue for a week now and it almost drove me crazy. Tried every suggestion I found on web - no help. Then I noticed a file in root of my c: drive named "Program". Strange. I removed it and this fixed the designer issue for me. This file seems to be related to OpenGL (a plain text log). Does anyone know what is it and how it got there?
    This totally fixed it for me as well. The contents of my file "C:\Program" was something about MySQL. Now the contents seems irrelevant. But VS2012 sure can't deal with a file Program being in the root of the C drive while using the XAML designer. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, just for the record.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 1:19 PM