none
Project Upgrade from VS2013 to 2017 - Can't find texttransform.exe

Question

• Hello

I'm working on upgrading a working project in 2013 to 2017.  In our project we have a ore build event to run a TT file to update assembly information.

set textTemplatingPath="%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\microsoft shared\TextTemplating\$(VisualStudioVersion)\texttransform.exe"
    if %textTemplatingPath%=="\microsoft shared\TextTemplating\$(VisualStudioVersion)\texttransform.exe" set textTemplatingPath="%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\TextTemplating\$(VisualStudioVersion)\texttransform.exe"
    %textTemplatingPath% "$(ProjectDir)Properties\AssemblyInfo.version.tt"

With Visual Studio 2017, I get the error message when doing a rebuild

Severity

Code

Description

Project

File

Line

Suppression State

Error

The command "set textTemplatingPath="%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\microsoft shared\TextTemplating\15.0\texttransform.exe"if %textTemplatingPath%=="\microsoft shared\TextTemplating\15.0\texttransform.exe" set textTemplatingPath="%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\TextTemplating\15.0\texttransform.exe"%textTemplatingPath% "C:\rw_apps\Software\DeviceDrivers\Oscilloscope\trunk\Source\externDevice\Properties\AssemblyInfo.version.tt"" exited with code 3.

Device

With VS2017 I don't see the folder structure called out, and can't find the texttransform.exe

Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Friday, April 07, 2017 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi William,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

The error code 3 often means the invalid path, please check the exsting fo this file "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\TextTemplating\15.0\texttransform.exe".

As far as I know, now the T4 Text Template is includes in the VS 2017 installer, please have a look at the following screenshot, you can modify the VS 2017 installer and check the workload 'Visual Studio extension development' to install it, it default selected the feature 'Text Template Transformation'.

I found the file 'TextTransform.exe' can found under the VS 2017 installation folder %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE and refer to the error message about invalid path, you can correct the path in your command and clean the project, then re-build it to test.

Meanwhile, please make sure you already installed the latest update for VS 2017  and If you have not install it yet, go to Tools-Extensions and Updates-Updates, and this update should display and select it to install, since I found some other community members reported the issue about TextTransform and which is fixed in this latest version.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by RohitArora Monday, April 10, 2017 3:30 AM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Hi

I've included screen shots, they show the install options I've  selected, the version of visual studio, and a shot that shows the %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE  folder structure isn't there.  Also, I'm running this on W10

Perhaps something went wrong with my installation.  Any thoughts?

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Hi William,

Thank you for your update.

Since you installed the VS professional 2017 version, so the folder should be %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE. please go to this folder again and see if the 'TextTransform.exe' file is existing or not.

The expected folder %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxxx\Common7\IDE depends on which VS 2017 version we installed.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by William255 Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:31 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:40 AM
  • folder structure isn't there.

-----

Make Search on your PC on drive C: for texttransform.exe and put correct path to the place where is wrong command.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:31 PM
  • Thank You for the help. 
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:31 PM
  • Hi William,

Does your issue is solved or not? If not, please feel free to let me know.

If it is solved and my workaround is works, could you please mark it as answer and that will help other community members to easier search this information. If it is fixed by your workaround, please share it in here when you have free time, thanks in advance :)

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:57 AM