Can an application run as administrator by default if the user has admin privileges? RRS feed

• Question

• Or raise it's priority to allow some operations which need admin privileges.  I don't want to see the secure prompt . I migrated a software to Vista OS, some UAC issues were raised. 

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:58 AM

All replies

• No it cannot run as Administrator by default. You can flag it with a requestedExecutionLevel of requireAdministrator using a Vista manifest if needed, those this will fail Logo tests.

A better, more secure solution is only to elevate when required using COM elevation or, failing that, calling out to a separately manifested executable (though that's also a Logo failure) that performs the necessary task.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Certification failure sounds a bit harsh. The requirements say that you'll need to get a waiver if you use highestAvailable or requireAdministrator in your manifest. That means that you'll have to justify why your application needs those extra privileges.

Would you recommend COM elevation when porting a program to Vista that doesn't currently use COM?

-Rob

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:38 PM
  •  

1. Locate the executable -> right click
    2. create a short cut.
    3. Right click the short cut.
    4. Advanced
    5. enable run as administrator.
    6. Ok.

Use the short cut.

I hope this will help.
    this works... did it myself
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:46 PM
  •  

1. Locate the executable -> right click
    2. create a short cut.
    3. Right click the short cut.
    4. Advanced
    5. enable run as administrator.
    6. Ok.

Use the short cut.

I hope this will help.
    this works... did it myself

OK i am having a similar issue. But i am running XP and the user can not have admin rights or know any passwords.  There is a dvr remote viewer that needs admin rights to work, so i was wondering if there is a registry edit or something that can be done so the app is running under an admin  but the user will still have no rights. please Help.  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by GGossage Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:28 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Sorry this may not be the right thread . I was taken here by Google and it was the closest on topic for my question.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:28 PM
  • PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:53 PM
  • If a user doesn't have admin rights, they can't run an app that needs admin rights. It may be possible to figure out why it needs admin rights and change ACLs on files and/or registry keys to allow it to run.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:20 PM