ValidationContext is always null RRS feed

• Question

• User299025995 posted

Hi,

I'm using VS 2012 and I created an Asp.Net Dynamic Data Entities website with Entity Framework 5 DbContext.

I would like to perform validation reading some data from the DbContext so I created a custom validation attribute and I overriden IsValid method.
    The problem is that validationContext parameter is always null.

I also tried to override DbContext SaveChanges to perform custom validation but it seems that SaveChanges isn't invoked.

How can I perform custom validation reading data from DbContext and having entity (validation context) that is being validated?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:48 AM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi OasisLiveFor, I don;t do things liek that I get the saving changes event and then do my validation there are I always had issues doing things the other way.

Also I'm not sure that the Validation Context is for that can you post some sample code please?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:12 AM
  • User299025995 posted
    public partial class TestDynamicDataEntitiesContext : DbContext
        {
            public TestDynamicDataEntitiesContext(string nameOrConnectionString)
                : base(nameOrConnectionString)
            {

ObjectContext context = ((IObjectContextAdapter)this).ObjectContext;
                context.SavingChanges += Context_SavingChanges;
            }

private void Context_SavingChanges(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                ObjectContext context = (ObjectContext)sender;
                TestDynamicDataEntities entities = new TestDynamicDataEntities();

foreach (ObjectStateEntry entry in context.ObjectStateManager.GetObjectStateEntries(EntityState.Modified))
                {
                    if (entry.Entity != null)
                    {
                        if (entry.Entity.GetType() == typeof(#MyEntityType#))
                        {
    						#MyEntityType# myEntity = entry.Entity as #MyEntityType#;

// Perform custom validation on myEntity reading from TestDynamicDataEntities context.
                        }
                    }
                }

}
        }

Hi,

I created a base class that inherits from DbContext and I changed t4 template to inherits form this custom base class. I attached to SavingChanges and perrmed custom validation.
    Everything works fine.

Is this approach correct?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:38 AM
  • User697462465 posted

Hi OasisLive,

I suggest you to pass the ValidationContext you need to override DbContext.ValidateEntity(). The method takes two parameters - entity entry and items. You would pass your validation context in the items dictionary. Take a look at the "Customizing Validation" section of a blog :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2010/12/15/ef-feature-ctp5-validation.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Terry Guo

Monday, October 21, 2013 3:44 AM
  • User299025995 posted

Hi,

ValidateEntity is not invoked.

As you can see from my previous post, I use DBContext but I register an ObjectContext in global.asax.cs:

DefaultModel.RegisterContext(() =>
                 {
                     return ((IObjectContextAdapter)new TestDynamicDataEntities()).ObjectContext;
                 },

Monday, October 21, 2013 4:40 AM